X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rmartinez
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Why don't you mount debugfs in the fstab?
    Yes, that could be a good alternative. Thanks.

Also whats the output of:

ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-03-05 09:03 /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Why?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Why don't you mount debugfs in the fstab? Also whats the output of:

ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Leave a comment:

• rmartinez
    replied
    Originally posted by paul! View Post
    Since I switch off the discrete card during boot process (/etc/rc.d/c.local) the fan stays quiet.

cya
    Thanks, it works great to avoid choosing every time the integrated card when the computer is initiated. So I did:
    Code:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    And added the following lines:
    Code:
    mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    But even though it serves to avoid choosing the initial card configuration, it does not resolve the fan problem. I made some reboots and saw that the fan running at full speed only happens when I turn off the computer (not when rebooting) while having the integrated card ON and functioning, and the discrete card OFF. To avoid this I must be with the integrated card OFF and the discrete ON and functioning, or with both cards ON.

That is why I still need the script that before turning off the computer checks and turns ON both cards.

Leave a comment:

• paul!
    replied
    Originally posted by rmartinez View Post
    the only thing is that when you turn off the computer with one of the cards turned off; then, when you turn on the computer again the fan runs at full speed. So, to avoid this I also made a script "switch_before_shutdown.sh".
    Since I switch off the discrete card during boot process (/etc/rc.d/c.local) the fan stays quiet.

cya

Leave a comment:

• rmartinez
    replied
    In order to avoid the use of sudo at all you can compile small c or whatever apps and use suid (4755). That does not work with shell scripts.
    Ok, that would be for the next chapter... I was just starting with shell scripting and just know a few thing of C++ and Perl (literally). But when I have more time I will read more about C and make something better.
    Or may be someone else can give as a hand a write a C gui for switching between graphic cards!

Leave a comment:

• rmartinez
    replied
    First of all it is not really good when you allow sudo for every command without passwd. Also a better way would be:

EDITOR=gedit visudo

to use gedit. It works even like this:

EDITOR=kwrite kdesu visudo
    Thanks, I now is not a good idea to allow sudo to a user without password, but I didn't know how to allow only this script to be used without password... I now you can do it with just one single password entry, but I wanted to be more easy and fast than that. I understand this "eassyliness" comes attached with less security.
    If you know how to allow a script to use sudo without asking for a password at all it would be of great use.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    In order to avoid the use of sudo at all you can compile small c or whatever apps and use suid (4755). That does not work with shell scripts.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    First of all it is not really good when you allow sudo for every command without passwd. Also a better way would be:

EDITOR=gedit visudo

to use gedit. It works even like this:

EDITOR=kwrite kdesu visudo

Leave a comment:

• rmartinez
    replied
    Hi everyone, I made a newer script with gui (gxmessage) that allows to switch between graphic cards "switch_between_cards.sh". I made it so that it works with no matter what configuration cards you have. If you have any doubts please write to me. The only thing I would like to mention is that although the vga_switcheroo v13 works in perfect functionality for my ASUS M51Ta, the only thing is that when you turn off the computer with one of the cards turned off; then, when you turn on the computer again the fan runs at full speed. So, to avoid this I also made a script "switch_before_shutdown.sh". These scripts are on my new post:

Please tell me if you find any errors!
    Thanks,
    rm

Leave a comment:

• Kreastr
    replied
    I knew about that. So I just tried everything. But it seems I found an answer. After update xserver-xorg-video-radeon package to version 6.12.99+git20100201 (debian sid or experimental distribution version) glxgears began to work ~5 times faster without overloading CPU at HD3650.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X