Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryzen 2200G Still Not Reliable in 4.18rc2, when will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupposedlyFunny View Post
    I'm using Debian stable, ignoring build dependency, I started with a shallow clone of the AMD development kernel branch
    Code:
    git clone -b drm-next-4.19-wip --depth 1 git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux
    I think I modified a couple of config options (one was about disabling memory encryption) and then built the Debian packages with
    Code:
    make bindeb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-yourlocalversion

Thanks for the information. I'm curious though: on this thread according bridgman (does he work for AMD?) the pre-boot freezes are related to issues with the BIOS and grub.

So how could updating the kernel fix the pre-boot issues?

(Not that I would doubt the success you've had with the wip kernel).

Comment

IIRC there are/were at least three separate boot issues that produced a black screen. I was never impacted by the "grub" freezes but instead the modesetting one.

Comment

Originally posted by SupposedlyFunny View Post
        IIRC there are/were at least three separate boot issues that produced a black screen. I was never impacted by the "grub" freezes but instead the modesetting one.
        So, it sounds like after 4.19 some motherboards might not boot reliably with the 2200/2400g and some motherboards might.

After 4.19, this site could do a Phoronix article on which motherboards don't actually boot with Linux and a 2200G and 2400G.

<sarcasm> I mean, wouldn't that be potentially more useful than information on which video drivers achieve 3% more performance? </sarcasm>
        Last edited by bryanbr; 08 August 2018, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbr View Post

Does AMD even care?
          Apparently AMD does care about us long suffering 2200G and 2400G customers.

I can report that with the latest firmware on my AORUS X470 Gaming 7 (release 8/8) and the Linux 4.19-rc1 kernel, I am no longer experiencing boot issues. I also have one of the latest Mesa builds.

This is major news!

Hundreds of thousands people staring at black screens for seconds at a time has now been solved.

Or maybe there were just hundreds of us attempting to run Linux on a 2200g.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbr View Post

Apparently AMD does care about us long suffering 2200G and 2400G customers.

I can report that with the latest firmware on my AORUS X470 Gaming 7 (release 8/8) and the Linux 4.19-rc1 kernel, I am no longer experiencing boot issues. I also have one of the latest Mesa builds.

This is major news!

Hundreds of thousands people staring at black screens for seconds at a time has now been solved.

Or maybe there were just hundreds of us attempting to run Linux on a 2200g.
            Yes. Its true. Boot issues are gone. Hopefully v4.19 will be LTS.

Comment

Another 2200G user here...4.19.0-rc1 FINALLY fixed my boot issues! Basically I had a 1 in 4 chance of successful booting with older kernels...completely random and drove me nuts.

Also it appears 4.19.0-rc2 fixed the random crash issues I was having (knock on wood...no crash in a day and a half).

If anybody is interested in comparing notes, I'm using a MSI X470 Gaming Plus Motherboard, and my firmware is about a month old.

The only issue I have remaining is that my sound port is recognized on bootup...I have to manually unplug and plug back in my speakers before the system will play music.

Comment

From v4.19-rc1 (-rc2 installed) everything is stable. Reliable boots and did a 10x reboots on yesterday to get a minimum voltage for 3.525GHz clock at full load.

With 1.16v the temps with stock cooler is 65°C at full load and at idle the machine is super silent.

* Don't know is there any board available that sets the voltage to absolute minimum (0.86v) when idle and select the manually set voltage (1.16v my personal case) at full load.

I am happy now and wish a LTS kernel from here soon.

Comment

Unfortunately my luck ran out with the crashes and I've had three in the past few hours. So 4.19-rc2 still isn't there yet. All these crashes happen in Firefox for what it is worth. On the plus side, my boot problems are gone.

Comment

It works -rc3.

Please leave all the settings to auto and try to boot in. If successful you can play with XMP profiles for RAM. In my personal case it runs at 3200 and every other settings to AUTO.

Comment

Working...
                    X