X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    [...]and keep myself in helicopters, luxury yachts and winter sports, and we can both be happy.
    would not be happy with helicopters and luxuary yachts and winter sports... maybe you are happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied
    The only barely relevant bit in that article
    involved in getting traditionally NVIDIA centered HPC workloads working
    Sooo, you go work on that from your one large room, and I'll keep using already working and off the shelf compute to solve actual problems and keep myself in helicopters, luxury yachts and winter sports, and we can both be happy.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    btw you can buy the A100 now, opencl benchmarks are here

for the most part cuda far outperforms opencl, but staying vendor neutral is also important. Just in case AMD do release a 6 Petaflop platform next year (however unlikely)
    according to this benchmark the AMD 6900XT is not bad at all per dollar...

now we consider it a fact that the 6950XT is 10% faster at the same price with 18GB/s memory and 2,5ghz clock speed

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied

Your usecase sounds like AAA games. Which is the only software that runs on AMD gpus without showstopping bugs.
    Yep, AMD is fine for that - but you'd be much better off with a PlayStation than a PC for consumer stuff tbh.

And no, obviously my pc is in the office not the sleeping room. bedrooms are for sleeping and sex. (and reading the odd book)

for the most part cuda far outperforms opencl, but staying vendor neutral is also important. Just in case AMD do release a 6 Petaflop platform next year (however unlikely)
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Your usecase sounds like AAA games. Which is the only software that runs on AMD gpus without showstopping bugs.
    Yep, AMD is fine for that - but you'd be much better off with a PlayStation than a PC for consumer stuff tbh.
    not true but who cares you do have your opinion.

And no, obviously my pc is in the office not the sleeping room. bedrooms are for sleeping and sex. (and reading the odd book)
    I only do have 1 big room...

but the A100 lose agaist the mi200...

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

honestly i am not interested in a jetson... i am more interested in a phinephone pro and use it as PC the new gpu in it supports vulkan. vulkan based compute should be nice for such a device.

right maybe. but for my usercase i am fine for now...

thats nice.. but tell me.... is your PC in your sleeping room ? thats my problem i turn the pc off to sleep.

Last edited by mSparks; 09 February 2022, 12:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    The 8x A100 in the DGX is basically the same silicon and performance as 8x RTX3090s. You can move your code directly from your $60 jetson nano directly on to it without change.
    honestly i am not interested in a jetson... i am more interested in a phinephone pro and use it as PC the new gpu in it supports vulkan. vulkan based compute should be nice for such a device.

And right, I understand you havent seen what the problems are, but its also clear you arent close to running any jobs that would take 5000 years to finish on a vega64.
    right maybe. but for my usercase i am fine for now...

Last time I restarted my computer was sometime in November 2021. Production has been running 24/7 at 80% usage since roughly June.
    thats nice.. but tell me.... is your PC in your sleeping room ? thats my problem i turn the pc off to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied

i do not have any problem... so what is your problem ?

in 2017 i bought 6 vega64 and all of them did run for years in compute tasks without any restart ???...

man you are a clear liear..

i did run stuff for years without any restart... and be clear 5-6 hours would be a hit even on desktop "Any AMD GPU card can't keep running at full tilt for more than about 5 or 6 hours without requiring a restart."

i restart my desktop computer 1 time per day and i run it 12-15 hours per day. so your 5-6 hours claim is a clear hoax.

we talk this in the moment you can buy the NVIDIA DGX A100

ok ?
    The 8x A100 in the DGX is basically the same silicon and performance as 8x RTX3090s. You can move your code directly from your $60 jetson nano directly on to it without change.

And right, I understand you havent seen what the problems are, but its also clear you arent close to running any jobs that would take 5000 years to finish on a vega64.

Last time I restarted my computer was sometime in November 2021. Production has been running 24/7 at 80% usage since roughly June.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    What drivers bug free? AMD? LOL
    i do not have any problem... so what is your problem ?

Any AMD GPU card can't keep running at full tilt for more than about 5 or 6 hours without requiring a restart.
    in 2017 i bought 6 vega64 and all of them did run for years in compute tasks without any restart ???...

man you are a clear liear..

That's of zero value to any compute task that takes days/weeks to run. Its not like the Top500 just ignore AMD cards, everything gets tested before you buy them in huge quantities. AMD GPUs are nowhere to be seen because they never make it past QC.
    i did run stuff for years without any restart... and be clear 5-6 hours would be a hit even on desktop "Any AMD GPU card can't keep running at full tilt for more than about 5 or 6 hours without requiring a restart."

i restart my desktop computer 1 time per day and i run it 12-15 hours per day. so your 5-6 hours claim is a clear hoax.

Uhuh.
    And the AMD 5 Petaflop equivalent of
    NVIDIA DGX A100 is the world’s first 5-petaflops system, packaging the power of a #datacenter into a unified platform for #AI training, inference, and analyt...

Is?
    we talk this in the moment you can buy the NVIDIA DGX A100

ok ?

Leave a comment:

• mSparks
    replied
    and the driver is in fact bug free..
    What drivers bug free? AMD? LOL
    Any AMD GPU card can't keep running at full tilt for more than about 5 or 6 hours without requiring a restart. That's of zero value to any compute task that takes days/weeks to run. Its not like the Top500 just ignore AMD cards, everything gets tested before you buy them in huge quantities. AMD GPUs are nowhere to be seen because they never make it past QC.

"real world engineering problems requires more compute than anyone has budget for"

for 40+ years this was always the case...

https://geizhals.de/amd-radeon-rx-69...loc=at&hloc=de

for 1400€ you get a 6900XT with n 23.04 TFLOPS (FP32), 1.44 TFLOPS (FP64) at AMD

https://geizhals.de/gainward-geforce...loc=at&hloc=de

a 3080TI for € 1679 will give you 34.1 TFLOPS (FP32), 533 GFLOPS (FP64)

so it looks like in raw compute power nvidia wins in FP32 and amd wins in FP64
    Uhuh.
    And the AMD 5 Petaflop equivalent of
    NVIDIA DGX A100 is the world’s first 5-petaflops system, packaging the power of a #datacenter into a unified platform for #AI training, inference, and analyt...

Is?
    Last edited by mSparks; 08 February 2022, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X