NVIDIA Announces The GeForce RTX 3050, RTX 3090 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I didn't mean anything. Nvidia's own slides show 3050 needs DLSS to break 60fps in 4 out of the 5 titles with RTX on (and I'm assuming those are cherry-picked). Which means it would choke rendering native 1080p.

Plus, we've had $250 cards that could handle 1080 for 5 years or more. There would be nothing to see here even if you could buy those at MSRP. Granted, RTX in the mid and low end was always going to be a problem.
    I ignore ray tracing features. Just too resource intensive for low and mid-range GPUs. I'm more interested in 1080p and 2K to 4K without ray tracing. The 3050 oughta do that just fine. Add in DLSS and I just get more upscaling options over other brands (since FSR and integer work pretty much everywhere, for everyone).

I know we've had 1080p capable GPUs for a while. Them existing and them being available to purchase at reasonable prices are two different things. Provided someone can snag one of these at MSRP, that's not that bad all things considered.

I wouldn't mind side-grading to a newer 1080p platform just to save energy and have less heat output. There's more than just moar fps to consider. 5 year old 1080p GPUs use more power than the newer ones. Comparing most benchmarks and my GPUs reported output I'd save 30-40w and 20-30C by changing from an RX 580 to a 6600 XT. I have to reckon the 3050 would net me similar results..lower temps & power for same to better graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I ignore ray tracing features
      That's not how you judge a card.
      If I ignore RTX, high and med settings and don't play anything released after 2015, does that make the 3050 a 4k capable GPU?

Edit: Also, please don't distract me with such trivialities, I need to see whether I can find a suitable mobo among the newly released H670 batches
      Last edited by bug77; 05 January 2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's not how you judge a card.
        If I ignore RTX, high and med settings and don't play anything released after 2015, does that make the 3050 a 4k capable GPU?

Edit: Also, please don't distract me with such trivialities, I need to see whether I can find a suitable mobo among the newly released H670 batches
        It's how I judge a card. Just because it offers a specific feature doesn't mean it's a feature worth using in all scenarios. IMHO, ray tracing is high end feature that happens to be available on a lower end card -- my expectations are lowered because of that.

IMHO, with this GPU it comes down to whether the user wants higher settings with higher resolutions to scale from without ray tracing or if they want possibly lowered settings and lower resolutions to scale from with ray tracing. In that regard I don't consider ray tracing to be a defining feature for me and what I'm after -- higher settings and resolutions to scale from in relation to my current settings and scaling resolutions. I don't mention frame rates because I'm looking for 60fps (sigh...or 30fps...) regardless of outputted resolution (I don't have a VRR setup).

FWIW, I feel the same way about the 3060, 2060, 6600, 6700, etc levels of GPUs in regards to ray tracing. Cool beans if it can do it, but I'd rather use other settings like better textures, higher AA levels, etc.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
          i still find it funny people get excited about paying for a feature that reduces image quality. doesn't matter if it tries to be intelligent about it. its function is to reduce image quality and people clap like seals over it.
          Actually, it does not reduce image quality, it improves it considerably. DLSS and similar features are meant to allow you to run a game at higher resolutions and settings than your hardware would otherwise be capable of. It is similar to the tech consoles use to upscale. During normal gaming and especially at higher resolutions any differences are hardly noticeable. I would rather use DLSS and be able to game at 4K than not use it and lower my resolution or settings instead.

Comment

Working...
          X