Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVidia 2000/1600 series integer scaling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVidia 2000/1600 series integer scaling.

Hello Folks,

Using my NVidia 970 I have been able to do integer scaling on my 1440p monitor using the following command:

nvidia-settings -a CurrentMetaMode="DP-0: 2560x1440_165 {ViewPortIn=1280x720, ViewPortOut=2560x1440, ResamplingMethod=Nearest }"

This worked mostly fine, just had to run in windowed mode and move the window to the top left of the screen before enabling the above scaling. I did have some problems though:
    • XFCE would continue to behave like the resolution was running in 1440p (which of course it was). I have my panel down the bottom of my screen and when I enable pixel doubling with the above command it continued to draw my panel at y=1325 ish, which was off the screen. A bit of a pain and could have done with knowing some way into tricking XFCE to believe I was running in a native resolution of 720p.
    • Games ran in full screen mode would show the top left quarter of the game screen in the bottom right corner of my monitor. The top left & right corners and bottom left corner of my screen would appear black.
    • Displayport cable bandwidth usage appeared to rise using the above scaling method. If I tried running 1080p scaled to 4k on a 4k screen I'd go from being able to get 60hz down to 30hz.
    I have now bought a NVidia 1660 Super which I now have installed into this machine. It is stated that there is built in hardware in this GPU that allows integer scaling but I have no idea how to access this using Linux. I've done some searches and can find nothing at all. I'd expect it to be an option you put into the xorg.conf file but can find no information on this at all Perhaps there's no Linux driver implementation for this yet? The above command still works but with the same issues listed above. I tried my new card in a Windows machine and there's an option in there for integer scaling, it works perfectly well without any of the problems above.
Working...
X