• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

~/.profile
    /etc/environment
    ~/.bashrc
    ~/.zshrc
    KDE Settings>Startup And Shutdown>Environment Variables

EDIT: I use ~/.profile and have my shell rc source that.
    I don't think it works like that. I have a script that exports the variable in ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env.
    Kwin may not pick it up in time if you export it like a regular user variable.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    where should i put this line so it takes effect?
    ~/.profile
    /etc/environment
    ~/.bashrc
    ~/.zshrc
    KDE Settings>Startup And Shutdown>Environment Variables

EDIT: I use ~/.profile and have my shell rc source that.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    where should i put this line so it takes effect?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Multiple people have already tried it and it does nothing.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Before I respond to that, I'd just like to say I'm glad some of the Nvidia/KDE stuff is being resolved.

Originally posted by linner View Post
    I've found, at least with X.org, compositing hurts performance across the board. All hardware, drivers, software. I generally disable it and don't use anything that requires it.
    In my experiences with my past two AMD GPUs over 7 years using KDE, compositing really didn't matter all that much to most activities that weren't games and it helped with applications like Firefox and SMPlayer without having to manually create an xorg.conf to enable vsync to prevent tearing. For the times compositing did get effect things, which was only games for me, I preferred disabling it as needed using KWin rules.

These days I launch all of my games with Lutris and I have Lutris disable and enable compositing when games launch and close. I haven't had to bother with KWin rules since I started using Lutris. I also build Wine with patches that disable compositing with full screen applications as well as using programs like libstrangle to control vsync and limit framerates. With those ways I get the best of both worlds -- a nice pretty desktop with awesome transparency effects and games that run with full performance.

Leave a comment:

• linner
    replied
    I've found, at least with X.org, compositing hurts performance across the board. All hardware, drivers, software. I generally disable it and don't use anything that requires it.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    IT appears to be an excellent news. Will it be provided since the next PLASMA Release!?
    Why would you care about that? Just the variable yourself and be done with it today.
    I don't remember otoh where you need to set it, I can check when I get back home if you want.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by remenic View Post
    I have this gut feeling that this wasn't the only wrong assumption made by KWin's timing logic. Even when using Intel HD graphics, it's not able to render at a steady 60fps for too long. Stutters are the norm. Not sure what to think of that, but it makes me sad that this is how the kwin maintaners deal with it.
    Full ack. It's impossible to use Xorg KWin compositing on Mesa without it introducing stutter into various applications like even Firefox. That's really unfriendly ignorance towards the users.
    Luckily, yshui has continued Compton development and is achieving greatness:
    A lightweight compositor for X11. Contribute to yshui/picom development by creating an account on GitHub.

Leave a comment:

• remenic
    replied
    I have this gut feeling that this wasn't the only wrong assumption made by KWin's timing logic. Even when using Intel HD graphics, it's not able to render at a steady 60fps for too long. Stutters are the norm. Not sure what to think of that, but it makes me sad that this is how the kwin maintaners deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    IT appears to be an excellent news. Will it be provided since the next PLASMA Release!?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X