X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tbroderick
    replied
    Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
    Yes. It would be great if Phoronix tried a few different cards as well to give us a feeling about how powerful the GPU needs to be. How does the much simpler integrated GeForce 8200 compare?
    I would also like to know if a cheap a CPU, like a Sempron LE-1150, can still be capable of smooth playback.

Leave a comment:

• Uber
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    holy crap! from the looks of things, as soon as the video got loaded the CPU just sat there and twiddled its thumbs!

Seriously. AMD. I want to love you. I really do. But now you're back to playing catch up.
    Amen.. But at least fix the worst bugs for the remaining Linux ATI/AMD users..

Leave a comment:

• bash
    replied
    I still wish the three main vendors of graphic cards, AMD, Nvidia and Intel would sit down together and work on one standard to implement video decoding. Guess I'll have to keep wishing as for the moment it looks like everyone is coming up with their own solutions.

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    A new driver always gets me excited.

My little nice experience. I have a Dell Vostro 1400 notebook with Core 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.4GHz and NVidia 8400M GS. Running Ubuntu 8.10 with nvidia 180.06. Installed mplayer-vdpau using the source package as announced in nvnews linux forums (just downloaded mplayer-vdpau-3076399.tar.bz2 and ran the script checkout-patch-build.sh as said in readme). Running a 1080i hdtv video with normal mplayer (from medibuntu) with vo=xv, cpu usage is 50-55%, with mplayer-vdpau and *only* vo=vdpau (software accel) is 60% and looks blocky, and with vo=vdpau, vc=ffmpeg12vdpau is 35-40%. So its quite a big drop in cpu usage . Quality seems to be a little better with xv.

Great start, god speed .

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    And the hammer falls once again, bitch all you want about not being a FOSS solution, end result once again is Nvidia delivers while the rest show roadmaps. In the end, if you want working solutions look to nvidia.

Leave a comment:

• Yfrwlf
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    So what the hell is the benefit? Nada. The fact it's opensource means nothing when the driver side could be damn complicated, so good luck Intel and others trying to use this as the standard.
    Wait, what? Open standards are indeed nice, but at least competition will still occur, but not as well, which is the point of closing things up (which then sometimes backfires). Instead of programs adopting just XV and XVMC and such, now they have to add on this new one that only Nvidia cards are able to utilize because the API is closed? If so that does indeed suck for developers. Just as I was starting to feel comfy that XVMC was going to be the next big and powerful standard...

But, at least something is there and exists, so that's good at least.

I was about to replace my 8600 in our HTPC with an AMD card of some sort because of this issue of horrible lag while playing really intensive/big movies, but now I may not have to, tho still probably will since AMD is more open-sourcey. =D
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; 15 November 2008, 05:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    So what the hell is the benefit? Nada. The fact it's opensource means nothing when the driver side could be damn complicated, so good luck Intel and others trying to use this as the standard.

Leave a comment:

• Dragoran
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    What I want to know that is this API usable without the blob, with either nv or vesa?
    no... you need the binary driver for this.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    What I want to know that is this API usable without the blob, with either nv or vesa?

Leave a comment:

• korpenkraxar
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    holy crap! from the looks of things, as soon as the video got loaded the CPU just sat there and twiddled its thumbs!
    Yes. It would be great if Phoronix tried a few different cards as well to give us a feeling about how powerful the GPU needs to be. How does the much simpler integrated GeForce 8200 compare?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X