X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattst88
    replied
    Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
    Someone expert can please explain me in simple words what a shader compiler and IR are, and why LLVM is an improvement in speed?
    OpenGL programs perform all kinds of operations with GLSL programs these days. These programs are compiled by a shader compiler, which translates and optimizes the GLSL code into a form that the GPU can efficiently execute.

IR means "intermediate representation" and is (in a few different forms) what the shader program is translated into inside the compiler. It's a form that allows the compiler to more easily transform and optimize it, before finally emitting assembly code for the GPU.

LLVM should provide a good improvement in performance because our current compiler is lacking a lot of useful optimizations (and a lot of the infrastructure needed to implement them well!). LLVM provides both a good infrastructure and many of these needed optimization passes.

Leave a comment:

• Plombo
    replied
    There's not a video of that presentation available somewhere, is there? I'd love to actually watch it.

Leave a comment:

• lolren
    replied
    i smell a valve console with intel cpu and graphics coming

hope i am right

Leave a comment:

• TeoLinuX
    replied
    a tech question

Someone expert can please explain me in simple words what a shader compiler and IR are, and why LLVM is an improvement in speed?

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Out of curiosity.

Will this jump to LLVM help G3D in any way??

Leave a comment:

• gururise
    replied
    Nice! Right on the heels of the Windows vs. Linux comparison. Glad to find out Intel is aware of the performance deficiencies and are working to correct them.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Intel Aims To Hit On Performance, Plans LLVM Compiler

Intel Aims To Hit On Performance, Plans LLVM Compiler

Phoronix: Intel Aims To Hit On Performance, Plans LLVM Compiler

Eric Anholt of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center had a few things to say yesterday at the 2012 GStreamer Conference about their open-source Linux graphics driver stack. Intel is aiming to hit hard on performance improvements and one of the interesting statements made is that they're now looking at moving to an LLVM-based shader compiler for a big performance win. Left 4 Dead 2 running on Mesa was also shown...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X