Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mgc8
    replied
    I guess this goes to show that being "open" and "free" are not top priorities for any company, not even Intel, and everything they do is just for PR. This seemed promising in the beginning, yet after the details settled it's sad, sad, sad (once for each binary blob that is needed for the "open" part to function)... There must certainly be a lot of high-quality intellectual "property" being protected here -- nVidia and ATI must be shaking at the thought of the awesome PowerVR chip, and probably spending millions to find it's well-guarded secrets :-/

Originally posted by stan View Post
    I hope the three-blobbed DRM gets rejected from the kernel, again.
    I hope they have the decency to not even try again. They should admit the fact that it's a blob and deal with it clearly like nVidia does, don't try to make it seem open when it obviously isn't.

Seeing this only makes my respect and admiration for AMD and what they did to grow each day (that coming from someone who's not using any of their products atm). Yes, they're in it for the PR as well, but at least they clearly state what is open, what is closed, what could be opened in the future and so on. This whole Poulsbo mess is unbecoming for a company like Intel.

Leave a comment:

• hubick
    replied
    At this point my very expensive Panasonic CF-U1 Menlow MID is a BRICK because I don't have time to sort all this crap out. I'm pissed at Intel because I thought their name on the video chip meant it would Just Work under Linux. At this point, I will settle for distro's (Fedora in my case) shipping with any open source driver that can set the damn screen resolution right, and let me run a web browser and my desktop. If I tolerated closed source crap, I would just stick Vista back on the thing.

Leave a comment:

• stan
    replied
    Binary blobs galore

Splitting a binary blob into three binary "plugins" is like rearranging the decks on the Titanic. The fact that Intel is using PowerVR for their next-gen chipsets shows they're not serious about open source software. Else they would have used something that they could open source, like their in-house chipsets.

I hope the three-blobbed DRM gets rejected from the kernel, again.

Leave a comment:

• elanthis
    replied
    If it's not Open, it's not interesting as a driver. I'm all for (quality) proprietry software on Linux, especially in spaces with no FOSS counterparts of equal quality (eg games), so long as it is not part of the core stack.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Clarifications On Poulsbo's Gallium3D Driver

Clarifications On Poulsbo's Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Clarifications On Poulsbo's Gallium3D Driver

Yesterday we reported on a new Linux driver coming for Intel's Poulsbo chipset that is currently notorious on Linux. This graphics processor is found in many Atom-powered netbooks, but its binary driver is a mess...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X