Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Worthwhile Running Intel Alder Lake With mitigations=off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    Is it worth running the iGPU with DDR4 or DDR5 memory, please tell us Mike.
    The IGP is fine for desktop tasks and inadequate for gaming with either RAM type. You don't need benchmarks to tell you that.

Leave a comment:

• darkcoder
    replied
    With due respect to Michael, imo is more important to know if the mitigations are actually still needed, considering is a new architecture and very likely mitigations are already in place on the design.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    Originally posted by avem View Post
    Looks like Intel has done a spectacular job of addressing performance regressions related to the use of mitigations. Kudos!
    What evidence do you have for this? In this case, Alder Lake has a host of mitigations baked in, and we have no theoretical 'clean' silicon to test against to see how efficient the mitigations are.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    December 2020 is far from recent. That’s exactly one year ago. Lots has changed. We’ll have to get a refresh of these benchmarks. Regardless, thanks for following up avem

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Source? From my limited pts/osbench benchmarks, practically zero effect disabling mitigations on Zen 3 (5800X). Might have been true before, but no longer true with latest microcodes/patches.

Phoronix post

Openbenchmarking link
    Your limited right.

Here's Michael's own most recent data.

Almost 7% for 5600X which is not something to be trifled with.

Leave a comment:

• mr_marmalade
    replied
    nevermind
    Last edited by mr_marmalade; 02 December 2021, 02:29 PM. Reason: nevermind.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
    I am hallucinating or Phoronix has been changing a default ? Imagine that, CHANGING A DEFAULT ! Who ever do that in the real world ? /s
    I know that you are joking, but this is far from the first time Michael did benches with mitigations=off

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

I agree with you that "quite significant" is hyperbole on avem's part. But still, 2% could be considered significant, depending on each one's standards. I just did the quick math and Michael's benchmarks of the Core i9 12900K only exhibit 0.4% average performance improvement by going "mitigations=off", while your linked test of the Ryzen 5800X shows 2%.
    Thanks for working out that math on that, I was curious myself lol. And yeah I didn't mean to say "zero effect" on Zen 3 since I did see *a* difference but not as much as Alder Lake, which is really impressive by Intel.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Is it worth running the iGPU with DDR4 or DDR5 memory, please tell us Mike.

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Source? From my limited pts/osbench benchmarks, practically zero effect disabling mitigations on Zen 3 (5800X). Might have been true before, but no longer true with latest microcodes/patches.

Phoronix post

Openbenchmarking link
    I agree with you that "quite significant" is hyperbole on avem's part. But still, 2% could be considered significant, depending on each one's standards. I just did the quick math and Michael's benchmarks of the Core i9 12900K only exhibit 0.4% average performance improvement by going "mitigations=off", while your linked test of the Ryzen 5800X shows 2%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X