• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny3
    replied
    I'm wondering...
    I payed to own the computer.
    I payed to own the tv.
    I payed to own the HDMI cable between them.
    I payed to own the movie on an optical disc.
    Why am I not allowed to see what's going on between my devices that I own?
    Who is HDCP protecting, me or the greedy companies?
    I payed for everything in my home, what more do they want?

Now, as far as I understand, this HDCP encryption requires some software that will run on my CPU for the sole purpose of enabling HDCP, a feature that I don't need or want.
    To my knowledge, the more software the CPU has to run, the more electrical energy the CPU will consume.
    So, my main questions are:
    Who will pay for the extra energy consumption?
    Does Intel gives me the extra money that I need to pay the consumption for this extra "feature", that I don't need?
    I don't want to hear the marketing bullshit that HDCP encryption is so efficient, that I don't even notice it.
    I know that encryption and especially strong encryption can't be as light on the CPU as a "Hello world!" program.
    Anyway, I hope that any DRM crap like this will not be accepted to the main Linux kernel.
    I want my freedom!

Leave a comment:

• Creak
    replied
    I thought HDCP was, like, everywhere now (displays, GPU, etc...).
    How come Linux works without this code already in the kernel?

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    I hope Debian will ship without this garbage.

Leave a comment:

• Linux 4.17 To Likely Include Intel DRM Driver's HDCP Support

Phoronix: Linux 4.17 To Likely Include Intel DRM Driver's HDCP Support

Back in November a Google developer proposed HDCP content protection support for the Intel Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) Linux driver that is based upon their code from Chrome OS / Chromium OS. It looks like that High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection support in the i915 DRM driver will come for Linux 4.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X