AMD EPYC 7251 Provides Great Value At Less Than $500 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by killyou View Post
    Would it be possible to setup Ryzen CPUs (Threadripper probably) with multiple GPUs and virtualize gaming desktops there for an entire family? I would put the machine in a rack, provide each family member with 16GB RAM + 4 cores and dedicated GPU. Is it a viable solution? How the video from the VM would be streamed to cut on the latency?
    Have a look at the Debian Wiki for KVM VGA passthrough

& also see the Level 1 Tech video guides.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
      I beg to differ with the "Great Value" claim; both Xeons mentioned, the Silver 4108 and the Silver 4112 have AVX-512 support, Epyc cpu's do not, in many floating point heavy applications, such as those in HPC workloads like various simulation type workloads, the Xeons will simply walk away from Epyc's.
      True, as long as your dataset fits into cpu cache. Then avx512 can show some muscle, if your cooling is designed properly and cpu doesn't downclock too much

But if this is not the case, avx512 units on skylake get starved waiting for data and then epyc can jump over skylake, since it is able to feed its avx2 units with more data.

I know very few cases that fit comfortably in cpu cache. And those are better handled by gpus nowdays anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
        I beg to differ with the "Great Value" claim; both Xeons mentioned, the Silver 4108 and the Silver 4112 have AVX-512 support, Epyc cpu's do not, in many floating point heavy applications, such as those in HPC workloads like various simulation type workloads, the Xeons will simply walk away from Epyc's.
        This is true as long as your dataset fits into cpu cache. And that is seldom the case. And even when it is, such workloads are better handled on GPUs.

In real life, datasets barely fit into available memory so it is the speed at which you can feed your compute units that defines the speed of the whole system. And here 8 memory channels of epyc per socket give you advantage over skylake. That NPB LU.C test is a nice demonstration of that.

Comment

Working...
        X