Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Athlon II X3 vs. Ryzen 3: How AMD's Performance Has Evolved & Performance-Per-Watt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Athlon II X3 vs. Ryzen 3: How AMD's Performance Has Evolved & Performance-Per-Watt

    Phoronix: Athlon II X3 vs. Ryzen 3: How AMD's Performance Has Evolved & Performance-Per-Watt

    Noticing I had an AMD Athlon II X3 425 system still racked up and hadn't been powered on in a long time, I decided to decomission it, but not before running some final benchmarks on that system. Having the recent AMD Ryzen 3 1200 / 1300X CPUs I decided it would make for an interesting comparison how the old Athlon II X3 compares to AMD's low-end CPU of today, the Ryzen 3 processors based on Zen. Here are those benchmarks that also include performance-per-Watt and overall AC system power consumption numbers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25063

  • #2
    Nice benchmark! It's good to see how far we've come.

    Comment


    • #3
      Going from the Phenom II to Ryzen made a day-and-night difference.

      Comment


      • #4
        Interesting. The lower idle power specifically gives me reason to start considering an upgrade for the home NAS server. It's running FreeNAS on an old Phenom II x3 720 (95w) that I had laying around, but maybe it's time to consider putting that one out to pasture and eventually rebuilding it in a few months with a raven ridge APU once they're available.

        Comment


        • #5
          You have to give up half your pcie lanes to the GPU...headless build would be better right? Add a sata adapter or nvme breakout and 10GBE nic....etc.. instead.

          Comment


          • #6
            The x3 was a lower tier; the x4 620 sold for $100. I still have mine, which when undervolted stays quite cool even at its base 2.6 GHz. I'll try and see if I can bench it with my RX480.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
              The x3 was a lower tier; the x4 620 sold for $100. I still have mine, which when undervolted stays quite cool even at its base 2.6 GHz. I'll try and see if I can bench it with my RX480.
              If you can the same benches as the article, so that the graphs show yours in addition to the articles, that would be cool.

              Comment


              • #8
                Interesting comment from the article about finding a server in a rack:

                "Noticing I had an AMD Athlon II X3 425 system still racked up and hadn't been powered on in a long time, I decided to decomission it..."

                Sounds like PTS needs an inventory and server usage history in it's "commercial" version. Then a PTS user can run a quick report to see where PTS is installed, what hardware is in that test platform, and when was the last test run (or a list of test runs, perhaps with links to the test results) on that specific platform.

                I have 1 or 2 older Phenom II processors hanging around here and the motherboards & memory to support them, but everything is packed up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                  Interesting comment from the article about finding a server in a rack:

                  "Noticing I had an AMD Athlon II X3 425 system still racked up and hadn't been powered on in a long time, I decided to decomission it..."

                  Sounds like PTS needs an inventory and server usage history in it's "commercial" version. Then a PTS user can run a quick report to see where PTS is installed, what hardware is in that test platform, and when was the last test run (or a list of test runs, perhaps with links to the test results) on that specific platform.

                  I have 1 or 2 older Phenom II processors hanging around here and the motherboards & memory to support them, but everything is packed up.
                  Phoromatic actually has offered this feature for years... It's readily available via the Component Table and Maintenance Table pages. So it's readily available. It's more like I just hadn't looked in a while or went through the racks until figuring out how to make room for Ryzen on the racks.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Interesting. The lower idle power specifically gives me reason to start considering an upgrade for the home NAS server. It's running FreeNAS on an old Phenom II x3 720 (95w) that I had laying around, but maybe it's time to consider putting that one out to pasture and eventually rebuilding it in a few months with a raven ridge APU once they're available.
                    If it seems to keep up with your workload without much effort, you could try under-volting it, and maybe do a slight underclock if it helps decrease the voltage enough. I have an Athlon II x3 where I dropped the voltage by about 0.2v, which is pretty significant. Even with the crappy stock heatsink and no thermal paste, it manages to stay below 65C under full load, and drops to around 30C when idle. From what I recall, the whole system uses around 50W when idle, using a watt meter. Not great, but not bad for such an old system either.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 08-17-2017, 01:10 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X