Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC Launching 20 June, Are You Interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interested!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Old Opterons where single socket NUMA already.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
        Old Opterons where single socket NUMA already.
        I assume those which were on server CPU sockets? Since I have Opteron 3380 in my server on a AM3 motherboard... I doubt it's NUMA CPU...

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
          I assume those which were on server CPU sockets? Since I have Opteron 3380 in my server on a AM3 motherboard... I doubt it's NUMA CPU...
          Easy to check with numactl --hardware.

Comment

Seeing how we've already seen the performance of the exact CPU cores in action I'd be more curios as to the performance of the Frontier Edition GPUs that AMD announced yesterday that they're going to release June 27th. Because of that I'd ask that if you're going to spend $1000 on hardware, that you'd spend it on that instead.

Then again I'm not a premium member, but I do try to donate $20 every year to keep the site running (used to give that money to Wikipedia, but stopped doing that after the editing of any even slightly political articles got way too political).

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
              The G34 socket opteron (6000 series) were all single-socket NUMA. The C32 socket (4000 series) and AM3+ socket (3000 series) were not.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                Then again I'm not a premium member, but I do try to donate $20 every year to keep the site running (used to give that money to Wikipedia, but stopped doing that after the editing of any even slightly political articles got way too political).
                Don't give a dime to wikipedia. The wikipedia folks pay themselves lavish salaries and bonuses, and cover it up with their monthly groveling for "hosting costs". They take in $millions and they pay a few $k a month in hosting expenses. Its truly a scam. FOSS projects (and of course our forum host) are far more worthy recipients of your hard earned bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: AMD EPYC Launching 20 June, Are You Interested?

Besides confirming the RX Vega launch for SIGGRAPH, AMD also announced today from Computex Taipei that their AMD EPYC launch is happening on 20 June...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Launch-Coming
                  phoronix while I am curious about EPYC's performance, most of your regular benchmarks will not scale properly and won't show much. You need (very) special benchmarks for CPUs of this kind.

As a Premium subscriber, I would much prefer you save the money and get an RX Vega card instead (assuming you won't get a review sample), and CPU core scaling benchmarks with your existing Ryzen would be really great (2+2 vs 3+3 vs 4+4).

Comment

I'd love to see a darktable CPU vs GPU comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
                      Would love to see some core-to-core benches on games that are known to use more cores. Fuzzing around with scaling (beginning at 4 cores and then up them to the maximum) to see, if something breaks in between and if, how strong that effect is - not only because of NUMA, but maybe also to see eventual issues in the game code itself.
                      1. You probably know that most games are not very multithreaded and we even have performance regressions of some games when running on more than 4 cores. Therefore, game performance depends a lot on single threaded performance and are yet to make good use of 8 cores, let alone 32 ones;
                      2. You also probably know that a processor with 32 cores is most likely running each core at a lower frequency than a processor of the same architecture with lower number of cores;

Hence, why on earth are you asking EPYC to be benchmarked for gaming? Even a game that is "known to use more cores" today will be more than satisfied with Ryzen 7's 8 cores.

Gaming is a small market segment and definitely not the target audience of a chip like this that may cost equal to a Ryzen 7 1800x + a high end GPU card just for the processor. And then the motherboards will likely cost 2x and - I hope - will not include the typical LED circus that gamers seem to love so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X