Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC Launching 20 June, Are You Interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veerappan
    replied
    I'm curious to see how well the zen architecture scales, but I'm definitely not in the target market for this chip. My interest caps out around 8-16 core, after which the frequency trade-off doesn't make as much sense for what I'm doing.

If you have to spend money on the chip, I'd save your money and wait for Vega, or possibly the ThreadRipper launch instead.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Michael, yes yes yes please please please for some EPYC benchmarks! I have 500+ Opteron 6300 cores at work, and 24 Opteron 4300 cores at home. All running Linux. Would love to see how the new stuff compares.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 01 June 2017, 01:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    You'll end up getting one of these and complain about how bad gaming performance is

Leave a comment:

• Filiprino
    replied
    EPYC 2S workstation, renice.

Leave a comment:

• qsmcomp
    replied
    Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
    Any news around CPU temperature reporting in Linux?
    Using a MSI board? Try this driver:
    GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Leave a comment:

• foppe
    replied
    Originally posted by Brutalix View Post

The 5 Ghz mark, well we will see if it materializes, Ryzen so far hasn't done that and the early reports indicated that this would be possible..

Kind regards.
    B.

Best I've seen is 5.3GHz or so on LN2; on water cooling about 1GHz less.

With regard to compiling on Ryzen, people on the Gentoo forums have been complaining a bit about weird/random segfaults (that I also ran across a few times while building my own kernel), see here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-...start-150.html

Leave a comment:

• Brutalix
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    also threadripper will feature Overclocking (some reported 5ghz with good cooling) and the server models do not feature overclocking.
    The 5 Ghz mark, well we will see if it materializes, Ryzen so far hasn't done that and the early reports indicated that this would be possible..

Kind regards.
    B.

Leave a comment:

• Brutalix
    replied
    Originally posted by Zucca View Post
    But at what price and at what power consumption? Some Threadripper motherboards seem to have 2x8pin CPU power connectors.
    \o
    As with several of the new X299 mbs from Intel, it seems related to the number of PCI-e slots, if more than 5 then its 2 x 8 pin.

Kind regards
    B.

Leave a comment:

• Zucca
    replied
    Originally posted by maffblaster View Post
    Oh, no! I already bought Ryzen!
    Oh no. And even Threadrippers use different socket!
    But at what price and at what power consumption? Some Threadripper motherboards seem to have 2x8pin CPU power connectors.

Oh. And also: Hi. \o

Leave a comment:

• Osmodivs
    replied
    Must be a speed demon on Blender.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X