MSI's Latest BIOS Updates Working Well For Ryzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Well, Michael can be happy to have received an update for the FW. Even if something is fixed upstream long ago it takes ages until it makes it into BIOS/FW releases (if ever). One is very dependent on the good will of the board manufacturer to release a FW update - and this is why something independent and more user controlled like Libre*/Coreboot would be better.
    (E.g. anyone remember the talk of Rudolf Marek on the CCC I guess 2 or 3 years ago? He found a bug/issue in the AGESA, AMD confirmed, updated the code but most boards never received the new AGESA part.)

But good to see that memory handling is improved now.
    I've always bought somehow broken boards. I remember 17 years ago the board didn't turn on AGP 4x mode, fast writes nor sideband addressing so the fancy new Geforce couldn't work at full speed. My next board died when I upgraded my CPU from Duron 700 MHz to Duron 1200 Mhz or so. The next board's ethernet didn't negotiate in gigabit mode with any cables so I ended up having a bag full of 2m cat5e/cat6 cables. One board didn't overclock at all. I bought a very specific CPU which had lost of overclocking potential, along with water cooling, but it was all wasted with that board. People could overclock it like 30-50% with raised FSB since other boards had separate clocks for PCI/AGP. Not that one. I got from 100 Mhz FSB to 101 Mhz. 102 MHz woudn't POST. My last Asrock board didn't work after waking from suspend mode. Now many of these Ryzen boards don't support RAM past 2166 MHz. Fun times waiting till the next AGESA appears, then deciding which board to buy based on available BIOS updates.

Comment

What memory is this exactly? If it's Samsung B-die, then MSI is just catching up to others who could run them properly from day-1. If it's Hynx, then it's really impressive. Why no details on this?

Comment

I don't like when people call UEFI BIOS, but it has gained so much currency that whatever. For all intents and purposes they stopped making BIOS boards since '12.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          I don't like when people call UEFI BIOS, but it has gained so much currency that whatever. For all intents and purposes they stopped making BIOS boards since '12.
          The board manufacturers still call them BIOS (at least Gigabyte certainly is). I think that's a bit annoying, but I've lately been following them and calling it BIOS myself too.

Comment

its still a BIOS.

Comment

Working...
            X