Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Bent A Kabylake CPU & It Still Works

Phoronix: I Bent A Kabylake CPU & It Still Works

Note to self: don't drop CPUs on the ground. But even with a bent Core i5 "Kabylake" processor, it still managed to work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought it was the whole CPU rather than just a corner when I read the title...

Comment

Yeah, as long as none of the wires in the substrate break you will generally be fine.

Comment

If you've ever watched the videos of Intel CPUs being delidded then you'd instantly realize that you did nothing to its tiny core.

Comment

as long as the performance is the same - all is well that ends well!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            as long as the performance is the same - all is well that ends well!
            thats the thing, it didnt "end"

Comment

Can't you just bend it back?

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                Can't you just bend it back?
                For things like this that aren't designed to bend, you risk breaking the piece off.

Comment

So... Now you're a... CPU Bender? (Avatar, anyone?)

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                    Yeah, as long as none of the wires in the substrate break you will generally be fine.
                    Not really any way of knowing this though, unless you know someone at intel manufacturing who'd be willing to test it out for you. A lot of the pins on a modern cpu are for power and for ground. It'll still "work" with some power and/or ground pins broken, although it may be unstable under heavy load. Probably the best way a consumer can test the health of a bent cpu like this one is to load test it with a variety of benchmarks for 24 hours and make sure its stable. Fortunately, Michael is well equipped to perform this!

Comment

Working...
                    X