• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Duve View Post

No, I am talking about this.
    you were talking about "that gets Red Hat's notice latter", but redhat did notice it long ago http://developers.redhat.com/blog/20...rm-arc-part-3/

Leave a comment:

• Duve
    replied
    No, I am talking about this.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    WAT?
    I'm lost on what you're trying to say here.
    I didn't initially see how "windows software on torrent sites" could have any relevance to a discussion of servers (and, specifically, server architectures) because it's been so long since I ran into discussion of server-side software that was either free (like dedicated game servers), open-source (eg. nginx, exim, etc.) or written such that it gets architecture independence from having no machine code and being reliant on a runtime like Java/PHP/Ruby/Node.JS/etc.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    I suppose "yes, windows software on torrent sites. who cares?" could be interpreted that way.

I keep forgetting about things like SharePoint when there's so much open-source or SaaS server software to attract the interest of people who upload torrents. (It's not as if this is the pre-YouTube era and we're all high-schoolers pirating WinGate to share our dial-up Internet with some old PCs we linked using scrounged Ethernet cards.)
    WAT?
    I'm lost on what you're trying to say here.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I suppose "yes, windows software on torrent sites. who cares?" could be interpreted that way.
    it was reply to reply to "Short term ARM server focus"

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i think that was said in server context

I keep forgetting about things like SharePoint when there's so much open-source or SaaS server software to attract the interest of people who upload torrents. (It's not as if this is the pre-YouTube era and we're all high-schoolers pirating WinGate to share our dial-up Internet with some old PCs we linked using scrounged Ethernet cards.)

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Those of us who own hundreds of closed-source x86/amd64 Linux games
    i think that was said in server context

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    With a couple of exceptions (including previous poster) it seems that roughly half the posters think we are stupid for doing anything less than 100% ARM while the other half think we are stupid for doing anything with ARM at all.

That tells me our strategy is probably not bad under the circumstances.
    It is more like 50% are "go ARM for lulz", 25% are "stay x86 for lulz", 25% are "now stay x86 to get cash to go ARM later".

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    yes, windows software on torrent sites. who cares?
    Those of us who own hundreds of closed-source x86/amd64 Linux games. (Possibly over a thousand. I can't remember how many of my Linux-listed GOG and Humble purchases are DOSBox-wrapped/ScummVM-based/etc. off the top of my head.)

I'm constantly reminded of which games are and aren't either open-source or emulatable on an 800MHz-overclocked ARM because I own a 600MHz-era OpenPandora (An ARM palmtop with gaming controls and an Xfce desktop).

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    With a couple of exceptions (including previous poster) it seems that roughly half the posters think we are stupid for doing anything less than 100% ARM while the other half think we are stupid for doing anything with ARM at all.

That tells me our strategy is probably not bad under the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X