Snapdragon 821 Launched, Tops Out At 2.4GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    What is the point if it doesn't end up in accessible hardware. We could really use a compact board running Linux powered by this chip. The problem is I doubt it will ever happen. The industry could really use a very small form factor standardized board.
    To make it easier for Samsung, Sony, LG and HTC to justify $700+ price tags? Because now you have a 2.4GHz processor! That will throttle in about 2 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      Like 96boards?
      Not standardized board. Not using new stuff either, Dragnoboard 410c isn't exactly cutting edge.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        To make it easier for Samsung, Sony, LG and HTC to justify $700+ price tags? Because now you have a 2.4GHz processor! That will throttle in about 2 minutes.
        This. I'd like to see what they come up to cool this shit as it will burn down otherwise.
        Heatpipes all around? A specially designed cover with fans?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          This. I'd like to see what they come up to cool this shit as it will burn down otherwise.
          Heatpipes all around? A specially designed cover with fans?
          Honestly, this will probably fit in the same power envelope the 820 did. Most likely it's just a process refinement and few tweaks here and there. But it will throttle just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Not standardized board. Not using new stuff either, Dragnoboard 410c isn't exactly cutting edge.
            Whether it is "cutting edge" or not isn't the point, and if you think that 96boards is NOT standardized, then I think you probably should spend a little bit of time reading a dictionary. The point of 96boards is that you can build something, and plug it into ANY 96boards product, whether it by hikey, dragonboard 410c, bubblegum-96, upcoming helio x20, or some future board with sd820/1. They are a completely standardized physical interface, and now that there are FOUR COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PRODUCTS ADHERING to that standard (see http://www.96boards.org/ce-specification ), it is already THREE boards more than ANY OTHER proposed standard.

So when somebody suggests a Snapdragon 821 based 96boards product, YES IN FACT, they are proposing a standardized dev/consumer board with that chip, and it is entirely doable.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              Whether it is "cutting edge" or not isn't the point,
              Well, it was the point of the guy you quoted.
              and if you think that 96boards is NOT standardized, then I think you probably should spend a little bit of time reading a dictionary.
              Whoa, ok ok I'm stupid here, I didn't look well at the boards. http://www.96boards.org/products/ce/
              Nevermind, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                I very much doubt anyone will target features for 8K TV compatibility for a long time to come. A very low percentage of people even have a 4K TV at this point, not helped by the lack of 4K media, 8K is a LONG way from mainstream!
                Not all media development is driven by mainstream. 4k is slowly landing on every gadget. You have 4k monitors in every store, 4k screens in phones, 4k DSLR/mirrorless cameras have been here for 1-2 years now. Codecs have been available forever, 4k TVs have been around quite long. Mainstream already watches 1080p TV broadcasts and 4k is available for prosumers. I'd expect 8k in few years. Also keep in mind the development speed is accelerating and it's easier to upgrade digital receivers. IPv6, 10 gigabit fibre and 5G mobile are almost here.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Not all media development is driven by mainstream. 4k is slowly landing on every gadget. You have 4k monitors in every store, 4k screens in phones, 4k DSLR/mirrorless cameras have been here for 1-2 years now. Codecs have been available forever, 4k TVs have been around quite long. Mainstream already watches 1080p TV broadcasts and 4k is available for prosumers. I'd expect 8k in few years. Also keep in mind the development speed is accelerating and it's easier to upgrade digital receivers. IPv6, 10 gigabit fibre and 5G mobile are almost here.
                  8k is just silly for consumer devices. Especially for anything with a screen much less than 90 inches. And even if the price of such screen came down to below $100, not a lot of people have a practical place to put a screen that big in their home.

Comment

Working...
                  X