ARM Announces Multicore 10nm "Artemis" Test Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Those I know about. My point is that we will have what amounts to desktop class performance out of these cards real soon. In the case of some of the Odroids the biggest problem they have is the lack of RAM which make you wonder why they don't offer an up sell model with 2 to 4X the RAM of the base model.
    I still find it hard to believe someone is running desktop software on ARM. Maybe via Android, but if the drivers aren't there, why bother. I have some experience with Intel Z8300 on embedded and it quite clearly beats any ARM I've ever used. For instance the RPi foundation has spent years on ARM crap and still no usable free bootloader, no usable GPU drivers. Intel supports OpenGL 4.3+ and ES 3.1.

That is a problem and frankly is a bit strange in ARMs case. But why call ARM Holdings a patent troll? They certainly aren't anything like a patent troll, rather they actively protect their IP. They have to protect that IP because frankly that is what the company is built upon, the licensing of the IP they develop to a broad range of manufactures.
    Fair enough. My point was, they're just protecting the IP quite aggressively - - almost like the real patent trolls like SCO - - which makes lots of boards totally useless way too early. Maybe this is advantageous to them now, but it is a stupid long term plan.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Maybe this is advantageous to them now, but it is a stupid long term plan.
      It's easy like this. They control when the devices stop being useful, so they can plan better.

Comment

Working...
      X