X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post

Whoooooooosh....

Looks like someone doesn't understand the meaning of the *net* in "netbook"
    Believe me, I do. I've owned several since the first ones came out in 2007, including an ASUS eeePC, an HP 1000, an Acer Aspire One, and several of the Chinese imported systems running Windows CE and Android. I still have the Acer, and even with a minimalist Linux distro it sucks, but it's still much more usable than the ARM based junk I've had in the past (that's not a dig against ARM BTW, just the specific machines I've come across). Even running super-light browsers like Dillo and Epiphany on Fluxbox can bring that Acer to its knees. The modern Web is just too heavy for a certain class of computer anymore.

Seriously though... it does look rather feeble. Not sure how you came up with "basically on par with a Raspberry Pi 2" - I read those results as "significantly inferior to the Pi2" despite the couple of "wins." I wonder why it did so well on Himeno?
    It's more or less on par with the RPi 2 when you look at all the results on the chart. Compared to the Jetson systems, the Pi and the netbook are both at a similar place on the benchmark (i.e. they both suck). Yes, the Pi 2 was better overall, but the difference is insignificant when compared to a more mainstream dev board, not to mention even an entry level x86 system.

Still, the owner did say "it makes a great little Linux computer" so it can't be that terrible to use! If the owner's around... it'd be interesting to hear how responsive it "feels" in use...
    As would I. Having owned a few similar systems, I can say that besides the fact that Linux is a bear to install on them without community support, even the "native" OSes were total crap on them. If the benchmarks are any indication, it would be even more painful than the RPi 2 as a "desktop" PC, which besides edging out the WM machine in the benchmarks, also runs a highly optimized version of Debian that focuses on desktop performance issues and has proper drivers for everything except accelerated X (and the fb-turbo driver does help). In other words, the WM netbook Linux experience is probably worse than the original Pi with the unoptimized, soft-float version of Raspbian from 2012.

Comment

Useless you have really big problems with money => you are living in China, India, Africa its too slow..
      Its even to small as toy for child, because childs are not patient.

Only use case for "normal people" which i see, is something like wild vacation computer were dont mind if it would be destroyed / stolen etc, its like cheap burner phone..

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        wonder if you realize x32 names the special ABI / calling convention for x86-64 with 32-bit pointers, ... http://www.t2-project.org/architectures/x86-64/
        how you write it it sounds more like you mean 32-bit i686 while your awesome AMD C50 does indeed support AMD64 in contrast to early Atoms that did not come with x86-64, ...
        Uh, of course I do. When I say x32 I mean x32. Else I wouldn't be asking the question, because PTS supports i686. Also, x32 gives the best result exactly on things like netbooks with low RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          Netbooks exist?
          Especially considering that you can get a cheap *tablet* for that kind of money, which is actually a hell of a lot BETTER.
          In fact, you can buy a refurb N7/2013 for $130, and it will make a fool out of that wondermedia pos.

Comment

Working...
          X