Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My A/C is cool in every sense..

Originally posted by konserw View Post
    You know that some embedded systems still run at 8-bit processor without fp ? Just cuz you don't need anything else to control temperature of furnace... (and display one line of text on LCD)
    8-bits?!? Geez, that must be one crappy furnace.. I need 64-bit 8-core APU with 16GB of RAM, 4TB SSD and double-floating-point precision and temperature resolution up to 12 decimal places.. Needs to poll the current temperature 1000 times per second.. It would need its own cooling system actually and be loud as hell.. But boy would my neighbors be jealous when I can watch game of thrones at 4k on my 2-inch display..

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      That embedded IoT-processor with minimal price, footprint, and way less than 4GB RAM totally needs to be 64-bit. Arbitrarily higher number totally worth the increased area (=cost) and power usage.
      of course it does need 64-bit. x86_64 is faster and more power-efficient than x86. and it does not take measurable die space

Comment

Originally posted by konserw View Post
        You know that some embedded systems still run at 8-bit processor without fp ? Just cuz you don't need anything else to control temperature of furnace... (and display one line of text on LCD)
        you now that those systems do not run linux (the first word of topic title)?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          you now that those systems do not run linux (the first word of topic title)?
          Yep. I was just making point that performance is not always top priority. There are plenty of embedded appliances that run linux and doesn't need performance of full blown x86_64 processor. For instance i work with EFT terminal verifone MX900 which is linux powered. I doubt that processing your credit card transaction takes a lot of processing power :P

Comment

Working...
          X