AMD Is Restructuring Again, Losing 7% Of Employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    bla bla It really doesn't matter how much good devs Intel hire, their HDxxxx graphics *HARDWARE* SUCKS BIG TIME compared to AMD APU, NO DEV can fix that.
    bla bla.
    What you're obsessing with is not the main point of hiring devs nor the most important issue nor as bad as your childish "NO DEV CAN FIX DAT OMG I'M DYING SO I SCREAM A LOT AND ALSO UPPER CASE MAKES ME RIGHT".

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
      Yes they are rarer, and that's a problem. Since they are rarer only the people that are looking for that poduclt will get thous laptops. In Europe the avaibility of the products depends not only by the states, but also by the regions. In my region there were no a10 laptops, but there are no problems to find amd desktop CPUs or desktop GPUs.
      Another issue I think is that amd should enter in the tablet sector, because I think that tablets will eat the low end laptop's market and laptop will became more a product for pro users. But chrome os is going ok so I might be wrong.
      Well I bought mine in Italy, so I assume that model is available more or less anywhere in Europe... However yes, I agree that AMD laptops get much less shelf space in physical shops, which is where I think most laptops are sold.

Comment

You are talking about FX line of course because Kabini and Kaveri (and Carrizo-L/Carrizo) are/will_be made in 28nm.
        Yup of course about FX, there is no 28nm processor in traditional CPU performance segment . 28nm line is all about low power SoCs.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Well speaking about CPUs, it is 0.32 vs 0.22 nm actually Yeah archictecture matters of course i do think Intel has slightly better, but applied on lower manufacture process it just gives illusion that is so big difference... so yup it does matters, but i don't think architecture takes all the precedence there
          Architecture is the only thing that keeps AMD behind. AMD can beat Intel as was seen with Brazos which is a good architecture for low end machines compared to ATOM. The problem is nothing AMD has come up with for the mainstream is all that impressive and they aren't putting enough GPU grunt into their APU's. Sad because the have the GPU skills to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            Okay, hold on a sec. AMD CPU's are not as optimized power consumption wise but have been making strides, but my fx 8350 burried a fucking 1k USD i7 in a multi cyrpto test, just saying. On a more serious note, I really wish HSA would take off... not just AMD but Intel as well seem to be leaning towards gpu compute and it'll make some serious leaps forward for many multi threaded workloads.
            HSA, OpenCL and the like are only useful if the problem domain maps well to the architecture of a GPU. A lot o apps do of course but HSA won't solve all of AMD's problems. Hell AMD has sponsored or other wised help developers port their code bases to the GPUs they sell and that still hasn't moved sales forward.

In part AMD's problem are one of a negative impression in the marketplace. That impression isn't based on any real issues as their hardware is plenty fast enough for general usage. Frankly it isn't easy to remake your image in the minds of the buying public.

Honestly though I have to feel for Ms. Su as she gets thrusted into remaking the business soon after taking on the job of running the company. Seriously depressing to have to lay off 7% of your work force as your first major initiative. I have to wonder if she was moved into the position due to this very problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Yup of course about FX, there is no 28nm processor in traditional CPU performance segment . 28nm line is all about low power SoCs.
              I don't consider a 28nm Kaveri 95W part a low power SoC

Comment

Originally posted by vitalif View Post
                ... integrated GPU is faster than integrated Intel HD****, but on par with Iris Pro and of course slower than any discrete card...
                Hm, you can get an AMD APU with up to 512 shaders.
                A R5 220 has only 80 shaders.

Are you sure any discrete card is faster than an APU with 512 shaders?

Comment

A Kaveri isn't a SoC at all.
                  Kabini/Temash and Mullins/Beema are SoCs.

Comment

Yeah, those are exceptions - top line unlocked Kali Edition APUs
                    Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                      A Kaveri isn't a SoC at all.
                      Kabini/Temash and Mullins/Beema are SoCs.
                      WTF ?!?

We were discussing 28nm and 32nm in AMD range and he said that 28nm was only for low power SoC so i point out that Kaveri is also in 28nm and 95W and i don't consider it a SoC...so, 28nm is not only used for SoC by AMD, did you get it now ?

Comment

Working...
                      X