No announcement yet.

AMD Launches New FX CPUs, Cuts Prices On Existing Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man am i glad that i didn't buy AMD for my latest box.

In the past, I had always leaned towards AMD cpus; good price points, decent performance, etc.... but it would seem Phenom II was their last good line. [i own a phenom II 965 x4 cores, that i still am using / last AMD cpu i bought]. I really hope AMD can become competitive again, although i like Intel's products - having competition / no monopoly is always a good thing. I did initially look into AMD for this box, but at the end of the day - money wasn't a huge restraint - meaning i was willing to pay extra for what i wanted. AMD just couldn't compete.

That all being said - Since putting together my Intel core i7 4970 [3.6ghz, TDP/W: 84w], 32gb RAM, 256gb SSD [evo 840] + 256gb Intel 530 series M.2 SSD, ASUS z97i-plus [mini-itx] - I have been more than impressed with Haswell. My i7/4790 box is powered by a 'picoPSU' power supply; http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT - Haswell seems to be very energy efficient and since i have no dedicated GPU, nor does my Proaudio interface rely on the box for power -> it been working out wonderfully. I for sure would have saved money by going with AMD, but i think i wouldn't have ended up with nearly as good as a box, unfortunately.... So no regrets in not supporting AMD, and buying Intel, for this build.

Even looking that Michael's benchmarks - just reaffirms that i made the right choice. Who knows, maybe by the time i am building my next box, AMD will have a new line of CPUs that is more worthwhile/attractive. For now though, If you got the cash; then Intel is probably the better choice, depending of course, on what you really need/want anyway

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      So I take it as meaning that the scaling is mostly linear, for a properly written application that should, theoretically, be linear in number of processors. Clearly, HT can't do that, so i7 would be at a disadvantage, really.

But then the problem is, how is each of these cores doing their job, and Intel smokes AMD in IPC these days.

You are right that it would be nice to have more code be more parallel. On the hardware side, it's all in the power requirements. If I can have 64 CPU's with a collective TDP of ~ 100W or less, and the software is able to use them all, I might get much better performance using, say, ARM, that Intel's best. But as you noted, it will take time on the software side. However, AMD seems to be chasing the high power, low IPC game, which doesn't seem to be a good game to play ...
      Haven't been following HSA? AMD is focusing on platform as a whole, what little we've seen now in the early stage blows everything else out of the water. If AMD was so terrible then why did they win the contracts for both the PS4 and XBone as well as the GPU side of the WiiU? AMD is making bank and has paved their path forward via the gaming industry to force Nvidia's further loss of potential market and build the developer base to make a dent in the software market to get more devs writing for their platform. AMD is going to out technology Intel again with HSA just as they did with 64 Bit when Intel claimed it impossible and tried to get people to switch to Itanium.

Comment

AMD and Intel have both been working towards lower power. Yes, single thread IPC in Intel is much greater but not increasing much between iterations of chips anymore with the focus of energy efficiency. This is FACT.

AMD's Mantle and probably the new GL/DX will lower processor requirements to play amazing games drastically. Making AMD's current chips more than enough (as if we don't have more processor than
        we need most of the time anyhow).

All this "I am glad I didn't buy AMD" yada yada. AMD's and now Intel's APU's do so amazing things, really. software doesn't tap into what these chips can do (HSA) and you're calling them lame ducks? Did you bitch about not having 3dnow programs? Programs that don't use SSE2 or newer? Do not fault these amazing chips because software devs are sucking Intel's tits (especially using intel only codepaths) and not utilizing AMD chips to their fullest, in fact there isn't much that even comes close to utilizing any modern chip sadly.

A note about optimization: I recompiled ffmpg with -bdver flags to build for my chip (8350), the difference in encoding time was staggering, typically halved smaller resolutions (720p) times and shaved serious time off 1080p.

AMD chips are price performance comparable to a point but gimped by lack of software and or optimization, calling them crap is certainly missing the point as they can do amazing things that aren't utilized, you wouldn't take a drag car and race formula 1 with it now would you? So apples to oranges really. Then again, if performance is all we were after we wouldn't run python or even C and everything would be handwritten asm.

Actually never mind what you read. I keep forgetting you can't educate people on the Internet, everyone has their opinion and usually sticks to it like gospel. No amount of factual proofs or nullifying points will ever detract them from their notions/beliefs/corporate loyalty. This is phoronix, where AMD is bashed for it's cards/products/drivers by those who don't own or use them, where Intel and Nvidia (no matter what problems they have) are shined beautiful light upon with their drawbacks/faults glossed over whilst choirs of angels sing praise upon them.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          AMD's Mantle and probably the new GL/DX will lower processor requirements to play amazing games drastically. Making AMD's current chips more than enough (as if we don't have more processor than we need most of the time anyhow).
          That only matters if your focus is gaming / gfx-related apps. In terms of actual performance out of the chip, your point is moot / doesn't matter.

All this "I am glad I didn't buy AMD" yada yada. AMD's and now Intel's APU's do so amazing things, really. software doesn't tap into what these chips can do (HSA) and you're calling them lame ducks? Did you bitch about not having 3dnow programs? Programs that don't use SSE2 or newer? Do not fault these amazing chips because software devs are sucking Intel's tits (especially using intel only codepaths) and not utilizing AMD chips to their fullest, in fact there isn't much that even comes close to utilizing any modern chip sadly.
          I didn't call them lame ducks, i like AMD - but they just didn't have any compelling reason, for me to buy AMD, this time around... and yes, i probably would have bitched if glibc didn't support TSX/lock elision, but it does. [note: AMD still doesn't have this feature or comparable feature, last i checked.]. And yeah, i wouldn't be impressed with an app that _should_ be using sse but doesn't. But none of that changes the fact, that at this time, Intel chips have some advantages [that Mantle, etc don't make up for]. You can blame intel or developers, but at the end of the day, that doesn't change anything. Bulldozer has been a bit of a flop - by that i am NOT saying they are terrible chips, or that AMD's apus suck, or anything like that...But at the current juncture, Intel does seem to have some nicer chips on the market.

AMD chips are price performance comparable to a point but gimped by lack of software and or optimization, calling them crap is certainly missing the point as they can do amazing things that aren't utilized, you wouldn't take a drag car and race formula 1 with it now would you? So apples to oranges really. Then again, if performance is all we were after we wouldn't run python or even C and everything would be handwritten asm.
          wasn't calling them crap and it is "apples to oranges". AMD and Intel both produce x86/64 chipsets and are competitors in that market. It's comparing apples to apples, even if currently, it would seem AMD is less competitive, depending - and yes, you can say it's because of XYZ factor, but the result is still the same.

Actually never mind what you read. I keep forgetting you can't educate people on the Internet, everyone has their opinion and usually sticks to it like gospel. No amount of factual proofs or nullifying points will ever detract them from their notions/beliefs/corporate loyalty. This is phoronix, where AMD is bashed for it's cards/products/drivers by those who don't own or use them, where Intel and Nvidia (no matter what problems they have) are shined beautiful light upon with their drawbacks/faults glossed over whilst choirs of angels sing praise upon them.
          Dude, you are going on how about "corporate loyalty" - yet in part, you are reacting to my comment - I have no loyalty to corporations and/or products. Sometimes i buy Intel, sometimes AMD, sometimes i buy nvidia cards, sometimes i don't. - It depends on what is on the market at the time of purchase + it has to meet my requirements. If anything, it is you who has some notion of loyalty, getting upset, whining and bitching over someone not buying your beloved AMD products, but instead buying Intel because this time around, it made more sense...

get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            If AMD was so terrible then why did they win the contracts for both the PS4 and XBone as well as the GPU side of the WiiU?
            Sure, I don't mean that AMD as a whole is terrible, and I pointed out places where they can and hopefully will shine again, I just said that some of the decisions made recently, like pushing low IPC processors to insane TDP's that need liquid cooling, are not helping the company. Focus on your strengths, instead of fighting losing battles.

And thanks for the refresher on HSA, I had forgotten ... cheers!

Comment

Michael
              This is the second set of benchmarks with the FX9590 you release where there Clearly is something wrong

You even say so in the benchmark.
              Yet you release the benchmark knowing that it has grave errors??

How can i even trust any benchmarks when this is the way you operate?

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                Sure, I don't mean that AMD as a whole is terrible, and I pointed out places where they can and hopefully will shine again, I just said that some of the decisions made recently, like pushing low IPC processors to insane TDP's that need liquid cooling, are not helping the company. Focus on your strengths, instead of fighting losing battles.

And thanks for the refresher on HSA, I had forgotten ... cheers!
                Again, Intel and AMD TDPs are not calculated the same and don't tell you a damn thing about the power sage or heat output of the chip. This is why we need to see thermals and at the wall draw on benchmarks.

Comment

Dude, you are going on how about "corporate loyalty" - yet in part, you are reacting to my comment - I have no loyalty to corporations and/or products. Sometimes i buy Intel, sometimes AMD, sometimes i buy nvidia cards, sometimes i don't. - It depends on what is on the market at the time of purchase + it has to meet my requirements. If anything, it is you who has some notion of loyalty, getting upset, whining and bitching over someone not buying your beloved AMD products, but instead buying Intel because this time around, it made more sense...

get a life.[/QUOTE]

It was a conglomeration of many posts and or points I was posting about. You took time to pick apart my post and respond to every point. You get a life. Just to really piss you off I didn't finish reading a single sentence of yours, I hope you realize how meaningless your drivel is.

Comment

Originally posted by teroedni View Post
                    Michael
                    This is the second set of benchmarks with the FX9590 you release where there Clearly is something wrong

You even say so in the benchmark.
                    Yet you release the benchmark knowing that it has grave errors??

How can i even trust any benchmarks when this is the way you operate?
                    Because the benchmark is still accurate. If I were to install Ubuntu 14.10, with the same hardware, I would most likely get the same or similar performance.

That being said, there's a great benchmark by Tek Syndicate that puts a top of the line Intel/NVidia build vs a top of the line AMD build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrAP2_GfOo

Also, it should be noted that they ran more gaming benchmarks with the FX 8350 against Intel offerings and it outperformed them when they ran XSplit at the same time.

Comment

It was a conglomeration of many posts and or points I was posting about. You took time to pick apart my post and respond to every point. You get a life. Just to really piss you off I didn't finish reading a single sentence of yours, I hope you realize how meaningless your drivel is.
                      You honestly think that your comment that i have put in bold, does anything but make me laugh? lolz. You're a child, clearly.

Part of your comment was directed at me - so i responded [naturally], but i didn't respond to every part, nor did responding to the bulk of your comment take anymore than a minute or so to do. i did it early this morning, while having coffee / watching the news online and getting ready for work ~ It took me longer to brush my teeth, than responding to your comment :\ Oh no, you skimmed over part of every sentence! Clearly, it is you whom is upset, by consciously attempting to 'piss me off', in response to my comments ~ with your idiotic [laughable] comment.

again, get a life. Seriously!

btw, this response also 'took time', all of about 20/25 seconds. If you don't read it, oh well. But i am sure you will, just like you read the last one, that got your panties in such a bunch. [while claiming that you didn't, in a laughable attempt to 'piss me off'.. LMFAO.].

maybe next time, you could actually respond with something relevant to the comment/subject. Rather than acting like a baby?

Comment

Working...
                      X