Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The Jetson TK1, NVIDIA's High-End Tegra K1 Board

Phoronix: Trying Out The Jetson TK1, NVIDIA's High-End Tegra K1 Board

While it looks like most NVIDIA Jetson TK1 shipments were delayed (I've heard in Europe that they're not coming out as well until mid-May, matching what NewEgg and Micro-Center are now advertising), to much excitement I found out last night my Jetson TK1 ARM board shipped out and it's already arrived this morning. Here's my unboxing and first look at this new high-end ARM board featuring the Tegra K1 SoC that sports Kepler graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anxious

I ordered mine on 31MAR2014, no word on my order, really excited to use this and a SATA drive possibly as a primary desktop computer. The console is great news, as earlier devices (like the Tegra2 TrimSlice) couldn't manage a console, and this gives me a lot of hope. Also the fact that it is based on the just-released 14.04 is awesome. I love the cpuinfo too, VFPv3 and VFPv4 instead of the crappy VFPv3D16 (half the registers) the T2 had, along with NEON. Very exciting.

I still wish they had just put a SO-DIMM socket for the RAM, and the active cooling would have been nice to know about ahead of time (saw the holes and the plug for the fan on NVidia's site, figured it was optional), but I'm really excited for this board.

Comment

I pre ordered mine from New Egg. Then I noticed that release on preorder page changed to May 15. I switched order to Nvidia and it was shipped yesterday.

Comment

I wonder if it would be hard to get Android running on it.

Comment

Isn't the serial port increasing the voltage consumption of the board in general?

Comment

nooo, not a small fan

I just hate these small fans, they get damaged easily and make a lot of noise then. I remember having a wonderful Abit NF7 board that had one of these. It was impossible to find a replacement for that little fan.
            Luckily there are dedicated passive chipset coolers that should fit any holes, including these ones. I have a Zalman one that should do the trick but I'm still disappointed that for this price they couldn't use a passive heat sink.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
              I just hate these small fans, they get damaged easily and make a lot of noise then. I remember having a wonderful Abit NF7 board that had one of these. It was impossible to find a replacement for that little fan.
              Luckily there are dedicated passive chipset coolers that should fit any holes, including these ones. I have a Zalman one that should do the trick but I'm still disappointed that for this price they couldn't use a passive heat sink.
              Seriously, talk about CHEAP. For that I price I expect nothing less than a decent passive sink. I wouldn't buy the board just for that sorry ass decision to save a couple cents.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                Seriously, talk about CHEAP. For that I price I expect nothing less than a decent passive sink. I wouldn't buy the board just for that sorry ass decision to save a couple cents.
                If it's only a couple cents then why don't you just buy one for a couple cents and put it on?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  If it's only a couple cents then why don't you just buy one for a couple cents and put it on?
                  1) it's only a couple cents when they're buying maybe 100k of them. When you buy one, it turns into a couple percent of the original price, and then you have a useless fan left over... I gues you can sell it to someone who ruined theirs by using it.
                  2) finding one that fits isn't a problem for the OEM but can be a hairy one for you. Is it a one-size-fits-one like many laptop mobos? Good luck
                  3) voided warranty?
                  4) hassle

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    It's only a couple of cents FOR THEM, not for me. Also, you make it sound like swapping out their cooling solution with another, no matter how cheap, is like brushing your teeth. It's way worse of a hassle! Anyway, are you supporting their use of a crappy active cooler? Or are you trying tell me I shouldn't be complaining? Come on, be up front about your motives, because usually people don't criticize those making legitimate complaints.

Comment

Working...
                    X