replied
    Originally posted by grigi View Post
    yeah, too bad RAM is volatile :-(
    Enter MRAM xD

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    I've been telling people this for years, once you get used to running in RAM, you never go back. It's like the SSD effect, but 10x, since RAM is much faster than SSDs
    yeah, too bad RAM is volatile :-(

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    I don't reboot often (say every few weeks), but open/close apps and other things that use fsync a lot (databases of various kinds).
    I also used to hold out on an SSD because of price, but now I really understand its value.

I'm also not saying get an SSD, but that you should really consider one on your next purchase.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    I have to say, an SSD is not something you would notice, until you take it away. You get used to a much more snappy response. If I open an application, and it doesn't pop on screen in half a second, I start thinking the computer is broken :-P
    I've been telling people this for years, once you get used to running in RAM, you never go back. It's like the SSD effect, but 10x, since RAM is much faster than SSDs

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    A few milliseconds won't make a difference to justify 100 or more euros...
    It's not *that* expensive these days, if you don't need high capacities. And if you need a storage device, and you're not planning to put a lot of data on it, there is no reason not to go with an SSD.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    I have an old atom single-core system running a full Mint kde desktop, it has a shitty hard drive, and even that only takes a minute to boot up. Two minutes is something pretty special!

I have to say, an SSD is not something you would notice, until you take it away. You get used to a much more snappy response. If I open an application, and it doesn't pop on screen in half a second, I start thinking the computer is broken :-P

I also read some report from a small development house (about 10 people), the boss liked his system with an ssd so much, he decided to upgrade everyones desktops with ssds. He then noticed an about 10% increase in productivity, and hypothesized this was the computer taking too long to respond, so peoples attention would wander.
    SSD is really worth it for a desktop.
    This is a perception thing.

How often do you open apps and boot your pc in a day?

I boot my pc at most 2-3 times a day. I open 4-5 apps at every boot. A few milliseconds won't make a difference to justify 100 or more euros...

I am sorry, but an SSD is a luxury for the desktop. You only need to consider one if you have already spent at least 2000 euros on other parts...

Leave a comment:

• xpander
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I am running a full KDE desktop, yes. Also the NVIDIA blob and PulseAudio is something that stands out in the boot log. systemd-analyze blame says that it also spends 10 seconds remounting file systems. And of course plenty of startup programs, like Dropbox, Skype, Pidgin.

Offtopic
    Mate, Nvidia blobs, pulseaudio, dropbox, pidgin,skype,opera,hexchat
    thats an samsung 840evo ssd though

Code:
    Startup finished in 3.354s (kernel) + 906ms (userspace) = 4.261s
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame
               228ms NetworkManager.service
               211ms ModemManager.service
               208ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-1b48f1c8\x2d2a9a\x2d4f30\x2dba11\x2dd8bd1c9ccd9f.s
               160ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-c9582b14\x2de7f5\x2d4496\x2dbc09\x2d7be584a182f4.s
               152ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-3dc0c8b4\x2d69ea\x2d4a84\x2d9d73\x2d8976c40ccdf5.s
               122ms dhcpcd.service
               120ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-37962c3c\x2dcb8c\x2d4bb4\x2da27a\x2d58e852dcb643.s
               104ms systemd-logind.service
               100ms upower.service
                79ms polkit.service
                75ms mnt-youtube.mount
                67ms systemd-modules-load.service
                65ms mnt-downloads.mount
                60ms udisks2.service
                52ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
                46ms systemd-binfmt.service
                40ms kmod-static-nodes.service
                40ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
                39ms dev-hugepages.mount
                39ms dev-mqueue.mount
                38ms systemd-vconsole-setup.service
                38ms systemd-sysctl.service
                37ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
                35ms mnt-stuff.mount
                35ms lm_sensors.service
                30ms cpupower.service
                29ms alsa-restore.service
                24ms [email protected]
                19ms udisks.service
                18ms mnt-backup.mount
                17ms rtkit-daemon.service
                13ms systemd-remount-fs.service
                 9ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
                 9ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
                 8ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
                 7ms systemd-journal-flush.service
                 6ms systemd-user-sessions.service
                 5ms systemd-update-utmp.service
                 3ms tmp.mount
                 2ms systemd-udevd.service
                 2ms systemd-random-seed.service
                 2ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
                 1ms sys-kernel-config.mount

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    I have an old atom single-core system running a full Mint kde desktop, it has a shitty hard drive, and even that only takes a minute to boot up. Two minutes is something pretty special!

I also read some report from a small development house (about 10 people), the boss liked his system with an ssd so much, he decided to upgrade everyones desktops with ssds. He then noticed an about 10% increase in productivity, and hypothesized this was the computer taking too long to respond, so peoples attention would wander.
    SSD is really worth it for a desktop.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    This sounds pretty bad even for a HD. Running some bloated sw I guess? Full KDE desktop with indexing, tracking, and Evolution integration all running at startup?
    I am running a full KDE desktop, yes. Also the NVIDIA blob and PulseAudio is something that stands out in the boot log. systemd-analyze blame says that it also spends 10 seconds remounting file systems. And of course plenty of startup programs, like Dropbox, Skype, Pidgin.

Leave a comment:

• tuubi
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Exactly. The only thing an SSD improves for a desktop is boot/shutdown/hibernate times, plus opening a program a few milliseconds faster. And if it is large enough and you use it to install games, it will make games load stages a little faster, big deal... It won't make your pc perform better for the money spend. With the money wasted on an SSD, you can just get a vastly better cpu or gpu...
    True, an SSD is not necessary, and a gamer is definitely better off investing in a faster GPU. For me the silence and the overall system speedup is more important and well worth the money. The effect on general responsiveness and things like compile times (I'm in the software design business) is very noticeable on our relatively modern i7-based systems, but I admit I'd be able to function with a regular HDD.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X