X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• juanrga
    replied
    Originally posted by YAFU View Post
    If we assume that the AMD has higher power consumption, I think in some cases it may need a higher PSU power.
    At least in Asus you have very cheap motherboards with PCI-e 3.0 support for intel (assuming you want to use a discrete card). The cheap Asus motherboards for AMD FX I've seen do not support PCI-e 3.0.

I think each has its advantages and disadvantages. I hope that there is always competition between AMD and Intel. It would not be good for consumers that there is much difference between the two, and that only one dominates the market.
    Under full load the difference between 3770k and 8350 is of about 40-80W, depending of specific hardware and task. You can use the same PSU for both. Cheap motherboards for installing top chips? That is like purchasing a Ferrari or a Porsche and then using the cheapest tires that you can find...

Leave a comment:

• juanrga
    replied
    Under windows, Failwell is about a 8% faster in average than the 3770k, whereas its power consumption is above the 10%. Which is the average performance under linux?

As many reviews are noting, Failwell has thermal issues and poor OC than 3770k; it is not a problem with the "Haswell Round Lake H87 motherboard, which isn't too overclocking friendly."

Interesting to see the old FX-8350 being competitive with the new 4700k. I would wait the recently announced FX-9000 to be about a 7% faster than the 3700k.

Leave a comment:

• lordmetroid
    replied
    If you are going to test the IGPs I hope you will test

The common Intel HD 4600
    The mobile/BGA Intel Iris Pro 5200
    AMD HD 7660D with Catalyst drivers
    AMD HD 7660D with Open Source drivers

Leave a comment:

• mike4
    replied
    Without overclocking to ~5Ghz it makes no sense to update. Hence it all boils down to heat management etc. Also having a GTX 780 aside, how to install both graphiccards in Ubuntu?
    Waiting for your next article which hopefully includes that!

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by YAFU View Post
    In my previous computers I've spent lots of money on PSU, and two times the PSU are broken!
    So in my last computer I said: What the hell! and I bought a cheap "Sentey" case with PSU included! LoL
    Anyway I have a one year warranty on all computer....
    Spending allot doesn't mean it's good, you have to look up reviews by people hat actually have a clue as to what they are doing like JonnyGuru, HardwareSecrets, PCPerspective, SilentPCReview and HardOCP all have the proper equipment as well as people that actually know how to properly test a PSU to it's limits both high and low and give you a detailed breakdown of it's internal components.

Doing this I've never had an issue with quality PSUs, on the other hand, I've seen more then my share of people that either did their own DIY or had someone slap together a comp for them with a craptacular PSU that blew it's caps and took out everything, I just had to write one off last week that was a allendale Core2 Duo w/ 7600GT box with a crap PSU, it literally killed everything, even the DVD burner doesn't work. Owner was not happy to hear that nothing was salvageable.

Larabel and the like that have neither the equipment or skills to properly test a PSU are going to say any PSU that doesn't instantly explode is good.

Leave a comment:

• bnolsen
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    AMD's architecture is somewhat similar in that they also share hardware resources between multiple threads on a core, but with AMD much less is shared and blocking the other thread, which means it should scale better and provide better performance when going over 4 threads than an Intel 4 core with HT processor. That said, it's primarily for integer code, so i'm not sure how much of a gain you'd get from your double precision fp heavy codebase.
    I'm curious about possibly picking up an fx8350 just for testing. Of course I'm more than willing to wait for q4 if something new is coming out.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    I don't know about you, but I never cheap out on the PSU, it's the last line of defense your system has in case of a power surge. I'd rather replace the $100-130 PSU high efficiency, low ripple, very good standby efficiency and with capacity to spare to compensate for the aging of the capacitors because it was properly designed and took the hit to save the box instead of some el cheapo PSU that takes out half of your hardware.

PCIe2.0 isn't even being fully saturated. PCIe3.0 is a solution looking for a problem, it may only make minuscule difference in top end GPUs 2 generations from now. Test it yourself, get some tape out and tape over the lanes and turn your 16x card into an 8x, 4x and 1x card and run the same GPU benchmarks on it every time.
    PCIe3.0 does improve some compute benchmarks, just not graphics.

Leave a comment:

• YAFU
    replied
    I don't know about you, but I never cheap out on the PSU
    In my previous computers I've spent lots of money on PSU, and two times the PSU are broken!
    So in my last computer I said: What the hell! and I bought a cheap "Sentey" case with PSU included! LoL
    Anyway I have a one year warranty on all computer....

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    AMD and Intel state their TDP differently, Intel goes with the average while AMD goes with maximum. Thus AMD CPUs have always had higher TDP on paper but in practice Intel systems usually ran considerably hotter. It doesn't help Intel at all that they go very cheap on the stock cooling. I've seen many an Intel box throttled to slow as molasses speeds due to dust buildup on their dinky blocks with the worst HSF retention method ever conceived. A both through kit is pretty much required as well since they glue on the IHS to the CPU the temps are very high, requiring you to remove it if you want to have a decent stable overclock, I've seen this done with razor blades and hammers...
    Also Intel doesnt (or didnt) count the integrated northbridge in the TDP figures either, so memory controller and the likes don't get factored into TDP either.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    because in the last bench the 8350 would have won, so naturally it was excluded.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X