Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases "CloverTrail+" Atom SoCs For Android

Phoronix: Intel Releases "CloverTrail+" Atom SoCs For Android

With Mobile World Congress kicking off today, Intel has announced the release of their "CloverTrail+" Atom SoC. The high-end CloverTrail+ chip is the Atom Z2580...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Releases "CloverTrail+" Atom SoCs For Android

With Mobile World Congress kicking off today, Intel has announced the release of their "CloverTrail+" Atom SoC. The high-end CloverTrail+ chip is the Atom Z2580...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxMTc
    Important note for any readers. CloverTrail+ Uses PowerVR graphics. The next one SoC/Atom is supposed to use Intel Gen graphics that Sandybridge through Haswell has been using
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Important note for any readers. CloverTrail+ Uses PowerVR graphics. The next one SoC/Atom is supposed to use Intel Gen graphics that Sandybridge through Haswell has been using
      According to the verge there should be also a 4G modem chip to power these phones, so it will finally enable intel to compete for some high-end halo designs.

Such a smartphone combined with ubuntu touch should be a mighty interesting device.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Thanks! Was looking for info on just that.

Comment

Even the high-end one has graphics performance can be beaten by Adreno 320, Mali T604, while the Tegra 4 GPU is twice as fast as the high-end one, and 4x as fast as the low-end one. CPU wise, Exynos 5 Dual should still beat it, let alone Tegra 4, Exynos 5 Octa or Snapdragon S800, and these are the chips it will be competing against this year.

Wake me up when Intel introduces something newsworthy.
          Last edited by Krysto; 25 February 2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Intel last in the pack yet again. With the Exynos Octa core, Snapdragon S800 and Tegra 4 as well as the Renesas APE6, Intel's offering seems way too anemic. Considering that these ARM SoCs is what Intel's latest will be competing against this year and the Cortex A57 will be what the next gen Atom will be competing with when it comes to market it makes Intel's offerings sub par across the board for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseider View Post
              Intel last in the pack yet again. With the Exynos Octa core, Snapdragon S800 and Tegra 4 as well as the Renesas APE6, Intel's offering seems way too anemic. Considering that these ARM SoCs is what Intel's latest will be competing against this year and the Cortex A57 will be what the next gen Atom will be competing with when it comes to market it makes Intel's offerings sub par across the board for years to come.
              Intel obviously still has some catching up to do, but I don't see why it wouldn't manage to do that on the bay trail generation.

Right now, intel's SoCs are still based on a more or less 6 y/o in order archtecture with power vr gpu and manufactured at 32 nm. ARM SoCs are based on a brand new OoO arch (A15) and manufactured at 28 nm. Next gen atom will finally be manufactured in a current node (22 tri-gate), gen graphics (OSS drivers) and a brand new OoO arch. Furthermore, it seems A15 is already too power hungry to fit in most smartphones, only krait seems to manage that. A15s are mostly used on tablets, which intel will be targeting with a mix of atom and core CPUs. So I wouldn't count on intel being behind too much longer.

Comment

Dual-core?
                Pfft!
                Samsung Exynos and Qualcomm Snapdragon have quad-core!

"double the compute performance and 3x graphics capabilities with competitive battery life."
                Double the compute performance of what?
                Of their old Medfield?
                Not of the competition?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Dual-core?
                  Pfft!
                  Samsung Exynos and Qualcomm Snapdragon have quad-core!

"double the compute performance and 3x graphics capabilities with competitive battery life."
                  Double the compute performance of what?
                  Of their old Medfield?
                  Not of the competition?
                  One can easily understand how a dual-core intel will suck 10 times the power of a quad-core Krait. I think I'll pass on the intelcrap. Especially given their so so so dirty love affair with powervr. If I can get past one development hurdle with my phone (dual krait), my next experiment will involve Freedreno.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    One can easily understand how a dual-core intel will suck 10 times the power of a quad-core Krait. I think I'll pass on the intelcrap. Especially given their so so so dirty love affair with powervr. If I can get past one development hurdle with my phone (dual krait), my next experiment will involve Freedreno.
                    then stop using the so-called 'intelcrap' hardware like Intel processors, Intel SSds, Intel WiFi cards, Intel reference chipsets, PCIe (invented by Intel) on your computers, why don't you?

Comment

Working...
                    X