No announcement yet.

Linux 6.9 Change Allows Old Macs Using Firewire To Enjoy Virtualization Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.9 Change Allows Old Macs Using Firewire To Enjoy Virtualization Support

Phoronix: Linux 6.9 Change Allows Old Macs Using Firewire To Enjoy Virtualization Support

The PCI subsystem updates were merged this week for the Linux 6.9 kernel. Among the changes are the usual code churn around device-specific quirks and tuning of the power management code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! That took long … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Od0...JlYmUgbWFjcHJv

Comment

If there’s one thing Linux users secretly love, it’s Apple

Comment

The same controller is also used by the Macmini6,2, apparently…
        Code:
        rui@happymeal:~$ lspci | grep FireWire
        03:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): LSI Corporation FW643 [TrueFire] PCIe 1394b Controller (rev 08)
        rui@happymeal:~$
        ​
        … not that I have used it, though. 😛​

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          The LSI FW643 PCIe to FireWire 800 interface may be EOL but it is the only one that does not use a PCIe to PCI bridge.
          That's interesting. I just looked at some datasheets and It turned out that even latest TI chips like XIO2213B have an internal PCIe to PCI bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
            Personally I like the hardware they make most of the time. Can live without the restrictions they place on their i*OSes and iDevices though. I'd love to be able to run Plasma6 on their latest iPad Pros.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
              Linux User Here. I've hated Apple since at least 2005 when iTunes was basically a virus that used up all CPU and caused Windows computers to drool to a halt.

Or maybe it was the spinning disks in the first iPods,

Or maybe it was the PITA to download and update music on iPods for family members on Linux in the years after.

Or the removal of the AUX port, or the removal of all USB ports except for 1. Or maybe it was the nuance attachment accessories to bring basic functions back that should have been in the devices.

Or it was the anti-consumer nature where they made it hard if not impossible to root a iPhone, or the difficulty in installing Linux on their Desktops, or maybe I was irritated at needing to wait 1+ months to recovery a customers iCloud before we could download their data due to the phone linkup issue.

Or maybe I'm just annoyed at their new CPU design and how locked down it is.

Or maybe I'm just annoyed that every time they release a new macbook the community has to bend over backwards -- like to get that touch LCD strip thing working.

Or maybe it's just that everyone I know who owns and uses Apple products is at least borderline narcissist and moron.

Or maybe it's the stories I have to listen to about people going to the Apple Store and having negative experiences where the techs are idiots determined to sell you some new "fix".

--

I could probably go on for quite a bit more, but that seems like more than enough. I may be in a class of one, if there is a stereotypical "Linux User" I guess my 20+ years just don't make me it.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                I could probably go on for quite a bit more, but that seems like more than enough. I may be in a class of one, if there is a stereotypical "Linux User" I guess my 20+ years just don't make me it.
                Agree with everything you said, too many anti-consumer cash-grabs from Cupertino. When I think of Apple, I'm reminded of the old quote from the General Motors exec: We're not in the business of making cars. We're in the business of making money.

Comment

This could also have a Linux host, with virtualized Mac, correct? That could be very useful.

Comment

This only serves to further my belief that the MacBook 9,2 (mid 2012) was the last of the decent Apple laptops. Upgradable storage, upgradeable memory, Apple has left all of these consumer friendly ideas in the dust.

Comment

Working...
                    X