Effort Continues To Remove Most Of The SPARC 32-bit CPU Support From Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archprogrammer View Post
    Luckily I have an Ultra 1 which can run in 64-bit mode. On the other hand it's already running Solaris 9 and it's been quite a few years since the last time i woke it from hibernation.
    I used them in 1997 in the university...it is much too old.

Comment

Good, people who have such an obsolete plateform still running should not expect the very latest software for it in anycase..
      I wish they are even tougher regarding obsolete hardware support. And if some people are not happy with that, they can still run linux 5.15 or earlier versions.

Comment

In 2001 I got someone at Sun to mail my high school all their old junk from a test lab. It was all obsolete 32bit stuff. It was nice with Solaris. Not so nice with Linux. Fast forward 20 years and it feels past time to move on. No one is trying to run Kernel 6.8 on this kit.

Comment

Originally posted by tas50 View Post
          In 2001 I got someone at Sun to mail my high school all their old junk from a test lab. It was all obsolete 32bit stuff. It was nice with Solaris. Not so nice with Linux. Fast forward 20 years and it feels past time to move on. No one is trying to run Kernel 6.8 on this kit.
          No, they're likely not. And this vitriol is like watching Old Man Simpson shake a closed fist at the passing clouds in the sky for daring try blot the sun.

I used to own a V880. I'm not fussed.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

No, they're likely not. And this vitriol is like watching Old Man Simpson shake a closed fist at the passing clouds in the sky for daring try blot the sun.

I used to own a V880. I'm not fussed.
            "The lady doth protest too much , methinks". I have no idea where you see vitriol my good man.

The phoronix post invokes memories of Sun. The rise of Sun was not dissimilar to that of DEC and Sun's demise was more or less, step for step a copy-paste of DEC's. Both were fantastic companies in their moment.

The fall of Sun was a painful process that was evident for years before the final ax. Extremely unpleasant Déjà vu, an ultra-slow motion car crash where zero competence appeared to be in control of the vehicle.

Comment

I was actually starting to train up to work with Sun, but ended up steering clear because I saw the writing on the wall. Years before it's demise, because as you say, it was evident things weren't well.
              Hi

Comment

Working...
              X