Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.8-rc2 Adds More Zen 5 IDs, AMD PMF Will Know If You're In Front Of Your Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
    Their, they're, there. Things will get better; possibly after they have become worse. Other non-but-almost-homophones people have trouble with are assure and insure, and the notorious affect and effect, which people have given up on and use impact instead.
    Oh, impact for affect/effect isn't one I've had the "pleasure" of yet...!

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Oh, impact for affect/effect isn't one I've had the "pleasure" of yet...!
      Oh, you lucky, lucky person, you. It is a particular bugbear of mine, and I see it continually in presentations and 'executive summaries'. As I point out to people, impact has a medical meaning (as in 'impacted bowel' or 'impacted tooth'), and I'm not sure they want to be associated with that.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
        This whole comment thread...........just.......................... If this was really about a bad actor wanting to know you were at your computer, do you really think a proximity sensor is the way to do it? Why not just, I dunno, detect that the keyboard/mouse are being used? If a bad actor has enough access to your computer to read sensor data, they also have access to way, way more stuff, and a binary (true/false) value output from a proximity sensor is soooooooo far down your list of concerns it's not even funny.

I'd like to hope that you all are just having fun trolling with each other and aren't actually serious, but somehow I doubt that......
        I love how nearly all Phoronix folks only ever think in terms of threat actors, Evil Maids, etc - black hats using their nefarious means to squeeze past all your protections into your online bank account so they can grab that last remaining $5.74 before the tax office grabs it first.

They almost never consider the reality of multi-trillion dollar corporations that will spare no expense to track every movement you make in life, in order to be one step ahead of you the entire way and monetize every aspect of your existence.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          multi-trillion dollar corporations that will spare no expense to track every movement you make in life, in order to be one step ahead of you the entire way and monetize every aspect of your existence
          I consider these as part of the "bad actors" category, my comment still stands whether the bad actor is an evil maid or an evil magecorp/government.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I love how nearly all Phoronix folks only ever think in terms of ...

They almost never consider the reality of ...
            Would you care to share your carefully curated data and analysis that allow you to come up with your sweeping statements? I would be interested, and I guess, with, I'm afraid, no backing data, that others might be interested as well.

Comment

Working...
            X