Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends Out First Linux Patch For Clearwater Forest

Phoronix: Intel Sends Out First Linux Patch For Clearwater Forest

While Intel's Sierra Forest as their first all-E-core Xeon processor with up to 288 cores per socket isn't launching until around the middle of this calendar year, Intel Linux engineers already sent out their first kernel patch in beginning to target its successor: Clearwater Forest...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

288 Atom cores, what could go wrong 😅

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post
      If each core came with it's own Imagination PowerVR iGPU core, I say "sign me up!"

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post
        Chernobyl, just on a different scale. A motherboard compatible miniature concrete sarcophagus will be sold separately.

Comment

This is the generation that needs to be good to keep competition strong, sierra forest will probably just close the gap to existing models at best. Don't screw it up intel.

P cores are now just too inefficient in a number of ways (definitely space and power) and it's why intel isn't competing well. Hence the retcon of AVX512 to allow for an easier transition to E cores down the line. It's the E core only models like this to keep an eye on generally going forwards, I'm predicting that the P core models will stick around but exist mainly to compete in the niche less-but-faster-core workloads aka to compete with AMD's F series of Epyc.

Comment

Working...
          X