The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X Boasts Some Big AI Wins & More With Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    At least it's not even close to how overpriced a H100 is.
    The H100's are stupid expensive but they can't be touched for the performance they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You can pickup a used 2990WX from Ebay for $500:

cpu in working order, power on, passed aida64 stress test in 20 min uptime. No future testing will be done. Only cpu threadripper 2990wx included, no ram or ssd etc. only cpu.open to offers, shipping from Ukraine.No returns, no partial refunds. Pls ask your questions before buy. Have a good day!

That's not fast enough for you?
      2990WX is not the best when it comes to gaming because its boost clock is not that high (4.1Ghz) and that series of Threadripper also doesn't have the same IPC that current Ryzen systems have (inclusive of 7980x). Also the 7980x has ridiculous power efficiency (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDEUOoWTzGw) and this matters where I live, Germany has really high prices for electricity).

My mentality when it comes to buying systems is I don't have an issue in paying for more as long as it lasts a long time (talking 5+ years). I currently have a desktop so its in no rush, I might end up getting it a bit later when it goes down slightly in price and I use it for work so can claim tax deduction on it.
      Last edited by mdedetrich; 03 February 2024, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Almost 90% gains on TensorFlow and 70%+ on OpenVINO is a lot for a software optimization. This is more than a generation upgrade on hardware architecture.
        Last edited by paulocoghi; 24 January 2024, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X