Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoongArch Lands Initial Rust Kernel Support For Linux 6.8

Phoronix: LoongArch Lands Initial Rust Kernel Support For Linux 6.8

Submitted and merged on Friday for the ongoing Linux 6.8 merge window were the LoongArch processor changes for this new kernel version. Most singificant for these Chinese processors is now supporting the Rust Linux kernel integration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok great, it is nice and all, but....I have seen news about Loongson machines/cpus for years, since Stallman procured a laptop with them, but for a common mortal is there a way to buy a machine with such cpus? Apart from reading the specs on wikipedia, I cannot do much more. Are there Loongson computers sold on Alibaba or some other shop? I am seeing even RISC-V boards coming out, but nothing about Loongson. Even worse if I try to find Zhaoxin or Hygon. I know that in Shenzhen they sell them on the streets, but I don't live in China!!

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
      Ok great, it is nice and all, but....I have seen news about Loongson machines/cpus for years, since Stallman procured a laptop with them, but for a common mortal is there a way to buy a machine with such cpus? Apart from reading the specs on wikipedia, I cannot do much more. Are there Loongson computers sold on Alibaba or some other shop? I am seeing even RISC-V boards coming out, but nothing about Loongson. Even worse if I try to find Zhaoxin or Hygon. I know that in Shenzhen they sell them on the streets, but I don't live in China!!
      I found some really overpriced models on aliexpress. Was like $1,500 for a low spec loongson laptop.

Comment

A useless ISA that brings nothing to the table except having a Chinese name.
        They should spend their energy with the nation/company agnostic RISC-V instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

I found some really overpriced models on aliexpress. Was like $1,500 for a low spec loongson laptop.
          holy beep!!!! I have found a 3C5000L server on Aliexpress for $14,800

It is clear they have no interest in pushing LoongArch outside of China.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            A useless ISA that brings nothing to the table except having a Chinese name.
            They should spend their energy with the nation/company agnostic RISC-V instead.
            They are investing heavily in RISC-V too. And manycore architectures. And neural accelerators. And everything in between. They don't sleep!

Heck, over half of AI research is coming out of China these days.

Comment

Is LoongArch even open like RISC-V is?

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

holy beep!!!! I have found a 3C5000L server on Aliexpress for $14,800

It is clear they have no interest in pushing LoongArch outside of China.
                Search 3A5000 or 3A6000. It seems to include CPU, motherboard, and memory, and this price looks more reasonable.

3A5000: ~$390
                3A6000: $415~$500
                Last edited by wangling; 21 January 2024, 10:01 PM. Reason: Remove screenshot, it is too blurry to be seen clearly after uploading.

Comment

Originally posted by wangling View Post
                  Search 3A5000 or 3A6000. It seems to include CPU, motherboard, and memory, and this price looks more reasonable.

3A5000: ~$390
                  3A6000: $415~$500
                  looks like there are some 3A6000 on Alibaba at 400-500$

Comment

Anyone here actually test any of the LoongArch stuff for general desktop computing?

Comment

Working...
                    X