Ubuntu 23.10 Showing Nice Performance Improvements On Ampere Altra Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.10 Showing Nice Performance Improvements On Ampere Altra Max

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.10 Showing Nice Performance Improvements On Ampere Altra Max

Gigabyte (Giga Computing) recently sent over their G242-P36 HPC/AI Arm server platform built for Ampere Altra and Ampere Altra Max processors. This 2U server platform can accommodate up to four graphics cards or a mix of GPUs and DPUs if so desired, for maxing out the AI possibilities on Arm. I'll have up a full review on the G242-P36 soon while in this article is a look at the direction of the Ubuntu Server Arm performance from Ubuntu 22.04 LTS to now with Ubuntu 23.10 ahead of the important Ubuntu 24.04 LTS cycle.

Ubuntu is a bad representation of Linux

Debian is a better choice to showcase the general performance as a lot of distros are based on it (including Ubuntu).
    Last edited by Kjell; 30 November 2023, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Michael , if you talk to gigabyte, tell them to improve their servers.

1) Image a full 42u rack, How could I unscrew their tiny screw for a riser to add a pcie card if the screw is where they put it. Try to find a screwless design.
      I end up having to unrack the 2u server move it a bench to remove a silly screw.

2) 24 drive front bay pcb backplane, I would rather have modular pcb front bay backplanes of 8 drive each in case a slimsas4i port goes bad I could just replace a 8 drive pcb or have to option to disable by unplug the power cable.

Comment

Just curious: are these improvements specific to Ampere hardware or any ARMv8?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Debian is a better choice to showcase the general performance as a lot of distros are based on it (including Ubuntu).
          What kernel build options specifically make the Ubuntu kernel worse for performance testing than a vanilla Debian kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Ubuntu is not at all a bad representation of Linux and I'd wager you will find significantly more Ubuntu installations than Debian on the server world. Snap isn't a thing on that side and so Ubuntu is very, very good given they track reasonably recent versions of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

Ubuntu is not at all a bad representation of Linux and I'd wager you will find significantly more Ubuntu installations than Debian on the server world. Snap isn't a thing on that side and so Ubuntu is very, very good given they track reasonably recent versions of everything.
              It's a bad representation, because they have bad defaults like powersave governor (may be default on others as well). They also mix desktop with server setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's a bad representation, because they have bad defaults like powersave governor (may be default on others as well). They also mix desktop with server setup.
                It's his first chance at a review since it arrived. I would expect there will be a compare of various ARMv8 Linux releases coming up in the future.

Then everyone can go nuts on what is wrong with X flavor.

Cut the guy some slack please.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

That's demonstrably false / misleading. Using the same installer between desktop and server is a non-issue and is done in every distribution I'm aware of. I'd like to understand when the last time you've looked at Ubuntu is because the process for setting up a server has changed much in the past 13 years. I suspect you have not looked since then.

The power state is balanced by default which, by the way, is the exact same on Debian. This is coming from a long-time Debian user in myself, as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X