Noctua NH-U14S & NH-D9 Air Cooling For The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noctua NH-U14S & NH-D9 Air Cooling For The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X

Phoronix: Noctua NH-U14S & NH-D9 Air Cooling For The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X

For those wondering about the air cooling prospects for DIY builds with the new 350 Watt AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series processors, here's a brief look at the new Noctua heatsink options for the Socket sTR5 processors and the results in use with a Threadripper 7980X 64-core / 128-thread workstation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any subjective differences on noise?

edit: FWIW, I have the prior generation of the NH-U14S in a Torrent Compact for a 2950X, and it’s nearly silent at idle and only barely audible at load, so I expect good things from the newer generation. I have the newer generation one and a 7960X, just waiting on a motherboard.

edit edit: My fan curves prioritize silence but still keep the CPU under 70C in all cases.
    Last edited by sharpjs; 24 November 2023, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Michael, can you tell us whether the Asus motherboard's super-I/O chip (sensors for fans, temperatures, etc.) is fully recognized by lm_sensors?

edit: I previously asked about the NICs, but Asus's tech specs list Marvell AQtion for the 10Gbps and Intel I226-LM for the 2.5Gbps.

edit edit: I can see from a picture on Asus's site that the super-I/O chip is a Nuvoton NCT6798D, which bodes well for Linux support
      Last edited by sharpjs; 25 November 2023, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X