• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael

Would be great to see quality of life comparisons, ie
    * CPU idle power consumption
    * CPU power consumption for light web browsing
    * System power consumption when watching hw accelerated 1080p 60fps H.264/VP9 videos in e.g. mpv or Firefox/Chrome

My 7840HS loves to burn 20W just to scroll light web pages 🙁

Don't know if it's endemic to Linux.

Comment

Great to see as I'd like to replace my 2016 XPS15 by a Z16 Gen 2. Is it true that the version with dedicated GPU can dedicate it's larger cooling power to the CPU when the dGPU is off? Then the dGPU Laptop should be able to run with a higher TDP and thus much faster on CPU-only workloads. I'm doing long-lasting Simulink simulations which don't seem to benefit from CUDA.

Michael Wouldn't that be something to benchmark?
      Last edited by Zyklon; 10 November 2023, 05:00 PM.

Comment

9ms diff? not sure what that means to me.

I think some interesting "linux in the real world" benchmarks could be added as a part2 article:

get the database backblaze , https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...tats-for-2022/ .
        python 3.11 use pandas( or duckdb) build some queries and export out pretty print data tables. get the time how long it took?

Is there some way you could add some automation to vscodium and load a large file, make changes on lines, save out, and calc time?

load a 4 million triangle obj text file into blender using the python plugin and calc time?

Comment

My Thinkpad with 3700U is getting really old as I see. That 7840U can be a significant upgrade. Thank you for this review, so informative

Comment

I'm glad I skipped the Zen 3+ and went from Zen 3 straight to Zen 4. Zen 3+ wasn't so much of a performance improvement just a slight efficiency one whereas performance gains in Zen 4 are very noticible.

Comment

Great article as always! The Lenovo would be a perfect comparison for benchmarks of the Framework 13 with the Ryzen 7 7840U, which I'm still very much looking forward to. Are those benchmarks still on the radar?

Comment

Originally posted by ET3D View Post
                It's interesting that the 6850U is consistently a little slower than the 5850U in the CPU tests.
                Yeah, have a look at the global power consumption graph: 5850 has 15 W average while 6850 has 13,6 W and the 7840 blasts 25 W.

This article mostly compares different cooling solution mixed with different CPUs and you can't really make any conclusions for either since you never know how much the results are affected by each.

Comment

But wait... Given the obvious power limitation on the 6850u on that particular laptop, then surely that doesn't give good representation of the performance of that CPU, no?

So this looks to me as a comparative of Zen Gens on Lenovo, rather than a comparative of Zen Gens full stop. I reckon raw performence Zen3+ are in fact closer to Zen 4 than in this article at comparable power outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Yeah, have a look at the global power consumption graph: 5850 has 15 W average while 6850 has 13,6 W and the 7840 blasts 25 W.

This article mostly compares different cooling solution mixed with different CPUs and you can't really make any conclusions for either since you never know how much the results are affected by each.
                    Right. It will be interesting to see a similar article comparing them at the same power envelope.

Comment

Working...
                    X