Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Wants To Know If You'd Like Ryzen AI Support On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Wants To Know If You'd Like Ryzen AI Support On Linux

With the newest AMD Ryzen 7040 series laptops there is "Ryzen AI" as a dedicated AI engine based on Xilinx IP to help accelerate machine learning with the likes of PyTorch and TensorFlow. Sadly though this Ryzen AI with their new Zen 4 laptops is only supported under Microsoft Windows at this point. But it could change with sufficient customer interest...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A GUI control panel would be more beneficial than this.

- and. Once AMD does bring Ryzen AI to Linux, guess how I would adjust the AI settings? Yep. The same panel most likely.

Comment

How about open sourcing stuff so we can help develop for free? Oh... That's right, you'd be revealing backdoors and the like - because why else wouldn't you want free world class help on your firmware, PSP and microcode? Because we all learned that "security via obscurity" is a terrible strategy during kindergarten compsec class, didn't we?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

- and. Once AMD does bring Ryzen AI to Linux, guess how I would adjust the AI settings? Yep. The same panel most likely.
        They have ROCm which doesn't have GUI, why this feature will need one? Just add a support with cli interface for Linux at least.

Comment

No, I'd rather you deliver on the other 15 or so Radeon features that Windows has and Linux still doesn't have yet.

Comment

As a keyboard warrior all my life, it's finally my time to shine. I vote yes AMD! Yes I definitely changed the distribution.

Comment

Do you want more or less? Is that even a question?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                No, I'd rather you deliver on the other 15 or so Radeon features that Windows has and Linux still doesn't have yet.
                By 2-3 years time whatever computer system doesn't have AI will be severely impaired.
                I believe we should try and strongly support at least a first implementation of Linux support.

Comment

What AI can be useful on Linux? Generste scripts? Trolling on blogs? Write klingon poems?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl can be used today. IMO not worse than Windows one. Power of opensource.

Originally posted by deusexmachina View Post
                    How about open sourcing stuff so we can help develop for free? Oh... That's right, you'd be revealing backdoors and the like - because why else wouldn't you want free world class help on your firmware, PSP and microcode? Because we all learned that "security via obscurity" is a terrible strategy during kindergarten compsec class, didn't we?
                    The problem here is that a firmware is basically a detailed description of the hardware. And I can understand why vendors don't want to opensource that, though I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                    X