Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series: Up To 96 Cores, DDR5 RDIMMs, PRO & HEDT CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering that Zen4 Epyc lacks pluton, I wonder if this means even consumer Zen4 Threadripper will also lack Pluton. As someone that tends to lean towards older workstation parts when they flood the used market, this could be an interesting option in the future, especially how AMD is doing the opposite of what Intel did beginning with Skylake (Xeon requires a workstation chipset) and allowing Pro to work on TRX50.

————————————————————————————————

Also, just a quick reminder about ARM in the game console space: everyone (not just Phoronix) seems to forget that the Nintendo Switch is as much of a successor to the 3DS as it is a successor to the Wii U (in fact on the software and OS side, emulator devs have observed similarities with the 3DS OS/software), and Nintendo has been using ARM in their handhelds since the Game Boy Advance in early 2001 which interestingly means they've began using ARM earlier than they began using PowerPC (GameCube in late 2001).​ Heck, even the Wii has a secondary ARM processor unofficially nicknamed "Starlet" within the GPU (not a typo) that performs many I/O duties as well as security and standby processing.
    Last edited by NM64; 19 October 2023, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NM64 View Post
      Considering that Zen4 Epyc lacks pluton, I wonder if this means even consumer Zen4 Threadripper will also lack pluton. As someone that tends to lean towards older workstation parts when they flood the used market, this could be an interesting option in the future, especially how AMD is doing the opposite of what Intel did beginning with Skylake (Xeon requires a workstation chipset) and allowing Pro to work on TRX50. Also, just a quick reminder about ARM in the game console space: everyone seems to forget that the Nintendo Switch is as much of a successor to the Wii U as it is a successor to the 3DS (in fact on the software and OS side, emulator devs have observed similarities with the 3DS OS/software), and Nintendo has been using ARM in their handhelds with the Game Boy Advance in early 2001 which interestingly means they've began using ARM earlier than they began using PowerPC (GameCube in late 2001).
      No Pluton with Zen 4 Threadripper, was confirmed last week while in Austin.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Oh happy day! I mean, it makes sense since I'm pretty sure it's the same I/O die, hence why it sounds like RDIMM is now required.

...actually, is it absolutely confirmed that UDIMM is not supported at all?

Now the question is, why doesn't Epyc and/or Threadripper integrate a small iGPU into its giant I/O die since servers and stuff commonly have a motherboard-integrated iGPU for various management things...

(also, you didn't need to quote my whole post, especially the ARM part where my line-break got accidentally stripped out because I had javascript disabled :P)

Comment

Originally posted by NM64 View Post

Oh happy day! I mean, it makes sense since I'm pretty sure it's the same I/O die, hence why it sounds like RDIMM is now required.

...actually, is it absolutely confirmed that UDIMM is not supported at all?)
          Only RDIMM is supported for what was said at the AMD briefings. But whether it unofficially works or just on some boards remains to be seen until receiving different hardware to actually know outside of official statements...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I just remembered that there's both pro and non-pro Threadripper that technically could have a difference in this regard, I'm guessing AMD did not say anything about any distinction?

I mean, it's my impression that it's all the same I/O die anyway...

Comment

Only RDIMM is supported for what was said at the AMD briefings. But whether it unofficially works or just on some boards remains to be seen until receiving different hardware to actually know outside of official statements...
              But DDR5 RDIMM RAM sticks can't fit into DDR5 UDIMM RAM slots and vice versa. A motherboard needs to give up support for RDIMM the official choice for UDIMM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Damn. $1500 for the cheapest one.

To put that into some perspective, after tax and three years of upgrades, I currently have $1800 in my 7800X3D system with 64GB DDR5-6000 CL30 and a 6700 XT. That price includes 2 1TB NVMe drives, a 3 disk ZFS raid, a Linux boot SSD, a 650W 80+ Gold power supply, a CoolerMaster case, 3 Noctua case fans, and a Noctua CPU cooler.

My piece-by-piece as I can afford it ass isn't their intended customer.
                These are very much aimed at high-end professional users, not personal use.

For example, companies that work on chip design can easily be paying $100,000 per year per license for the software they use. These will be floating licenses, shared amongst engineers in a team, that check out licenses as needed for long-running tasks such as simulation, thermal analysis, placing and routing, etc. If $10K processors for 8 users on the team mean they get these tasks done fast enough that the company can get away with one shared license fewer, then those $10K processors save them money.

Or if an engineer costs the company $120K per year and the $10K processor makes them 10% more efficient, it saves them money.

The pricing set by AMD is probably influenced by how much their own engineering and development departments would pay for them.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidBrown View Post

For example, companies that work on chip design can easily be paying $100,000 per year per license for the software they use. These will be floating licenses, shared amongst engineers in a team, that check out licenses as needed for long-running tasks such as simulation, thermal analysis, placing and routing, etc. If $10K processors for 8 users on the team mean they get these tasks done fast enough that the company can get away with one shared license fewer, then those $10K processors save them money.

Or if an engineer costs the company $120K per year and the $10K processor makes them 10% more efficient, it saves them money.

The pricing set by AMD is probably influenced by how much their own engineering and development departments would pay for them.
                  They're still pretty pricey. The cost of a well spec'd AM5 system is the same as the cost of a Threadripper CPU. I just think there should be some CPU in-between the 7950X and the 7960X.

Using MSRP, the 7950X is 43.63 per core while the 7960X is 62.46 per core and a 7800X3D is 56.13 per core. Threadripper is just priced too high. It has a higher per-core premium than the 7800X3D at full retail pricing.

I spent 41.25 per core buying my 7800X3D. A company with a good purchasing division taking advantage of bulk discounts could buy 2 to 3 7800X3D workstations for every one 7960X workstation.

I'm not gonna bring up the 6/6/12 bastard child 7900X3D. I don't know why that exists other than AMD sneaking in some split-core beta testing on consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidBrown View Post

Theres an interesting section in this video that points to price per core:

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Theres an interesting section in this video that points to price per core:

https://youtu.be/LgUee00qXIY?si=TXSW4lsnc8cqTXhL
                      And here I am doing the math on the best valued one and thinking, "Drew, That's Too Much!"

Comment

Working...
                      X