No announcement yet.

Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 w/ AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U Running Nicely On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Ryzen 7 PRO 7840U: Scaling Governor: acpi-cpufreq schedutil (Boost: Enabled) - Platform Profile: balanced - CPU Microcode: 0xa704103 - ACPI Profile: balanced
    Why the choise of acpi-cpufreq instead of amd-pstate-epp? Also, I'd set the governor to "performance" and both platform and acpi profiles to "performance" for best performance. How much sense does it make to test performance on the balanced profile?

Comment

Originally posted by danger View Post

Why the choise of acpi-cpufreq instead of amd-pstate-epp? Also, I'd set the governor to "performance" and both platform and acpi profiles to "performance" for best performance. How much sense does it make to test performance on the balanced profile?
      Defaults for each OS as tested...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Most likely IMO AMD will have a Zen5X3D+Zen5C part for the top end consumer part to win across the board. Sensible gamers will opt for a single Zen5X3D chiplet, midrange might be Zen5C to Zen5. A Zen5C+Zen5C could exist but it would be niche and may deflect attention from the halo part, it would make for a great and affordable edge server with the right workload.

Comment

fwupd - that would be first Lenovo''s AMD Thinkpad which does that? Does anybody know any other such Thinkpad?

Comment

Originally posted by nfrenay View Post

I unfortunatelly have the same opinion. While I do love the form factor, performance and efficiency of my TP T14s G3 6850U, it feels like I'm beta testing the product.
            Some issues were solved by AMD and Lenovo, but not all of them.

The most serious one is random GPU crashes, specially while sharing screens in meetings (Google Meets, Zoom). For me it's almost guaranteed to crash in less than 15 minutes.
            This is not only annoying but a serious issue as I crash in business meetings, wasting minutes to reboot and rejoin.

Issue and reproducer here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/a...0#note_1972791

While I recognize this looks like a complex issue, it has been open for almost a year, and I can reproduce it frequently.

Another issue I had was with VAAPI (someone mentioned it here). If want your battery to last while watching videos you have to:
            1) disable IOMMU as a workaround to a bug that affects VAAPI
            2) use Chrome 115 with some flags, as from 116 Google broke VAAPI support with AMD GPUs

I also had issues with suspend. The computer would waste tons of battery while suspended, but AMD and Lenovo both responded quickly on that.

Fun fact: I recommended an AMD Lenovo laptop to a friend before discovering that I can't share screens and he has the same issue, even though it's not the same hardware and software. I'm using Arch and he uses Ubuntu.
            I completely agree with the experiences from the above post. I recently got an AMD Reimbrandt based APU laptop and can attest to random GPU crashes and VAAPI muck ups. Also, added to the woes is the system sleep or suspend, that doesn't work properly on this platform yet. And all of this is running the latest kernel and mesa on bleeding edge Arch derivative distros. While I did not test the screen sharing elaborately yet, but will get to it soon. Luckily, I'm still within the window of return for my laptop and will mostly be returning it. I'm increasingly feeling that Intel CPU's and GPU's would be a safer choice for Linux users
            Last edited by Random_Jerk; 29 September 2023, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
              fwupd - that would be first Lenovo''s AMD Thinkpad which does that? Does anybody know any other such Thinkpad?
              My ThinkPad T14 AMD Gen 1 is already supported, so it's not new.

Comment

Originally posted by Shtirlic View Post

[...] If someone as me in the past still not decided between t14/p14s vs t14s here are some of my thoughts: [...][LIST]
                🤔 Does the Thinkpad have a fingerprint reader that works in Linux? ​

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                  The T495/T495s supported fwupd for bios updates.

Comment

Originally posted by nfrenay View Post

I unfortunatelly have the same opinion. While I do love the form factor, performance and efficiency of my TP T14s G3 6850U, it feels like I'm beta testing the product.
                    Some issues were solved by AMD and Lenovo, but not all of them.

The most serious one is random GPU crashes, specially while sharing screens in meetings (Google Meets, Zoom). For me it's almost guaranteed to crash in less than 15 minutes.
                    This is not only annoying but a serious issue as I crash in business meetings, wasting minutes to reboot and rejoin.

Issue and reproducer here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/a...0#note_1972791

While I recognize this looks like a complex issue, it has been open for almost a year, and I can reproduce it frequently..
                    Reading through that bug report as well as mesa/8044, the thing that keeps running though my head is, "WHY doesn't AMD QA just offer to BUY one of these people's laptops?" As long as they can reproduce the problem with a clean install that contains no personal data, that is. Surely that would more expedient than months of going round and round the mulberry bush. First verify that it can be reproduced, then image the disk onto a few other laptops to see if it's hardware specific, and depending on the results of that either start debugging or take it apart atom-by-atom and root cause the hardware fault.

Compared to the salary and payroll tax to employ a single developer, a few tens of thousands in an expense account for this would be small potatoes.

Comment

So is 7840u is more powerful than Intel 1355u but less reliable?
                      Last edited by 860lacov; 30 September 2023, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X