Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6 Will Avoid Unnecessary Kernel Panics On AMD Zen Systems

Phoronix: Linux 6.6 Will Avoid Unnecessary Kernel Panics On AMD Zen Systems

As part of the Reliability, Availability and Serviceability (RAS) updates submitted today for the Linux 6.6 kernel is adding a quirk/workaround for dealing with current AMD Zen systems where a processor bug could lead to erroneously increased error severity and unneeded kernel panics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's an "unneeded kernel panic"? Is it a "kernel startle"?

Comment

Why does AMD need an acronym for fixing their own oversights and errors?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Why does AMD need an acronym for fixing their own oversights and errors?

Comment

Does this affect zen 1 all the way through zen 4? Does this mean this has been going on for years with a random non-reproducible panic? or is this related to some mitigation?

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
            Does this affect zen 1 all the way through zen 4? Does this mean this has been going on for years with a random non-reproducible panic? or is this related to some mitigation?
            It sounds like a bug with how error reporting is done on poison consumption (like bit flip detected). More of a server farm thing.

Comment

I have an AMD 5600 CPU and a RX580 GPU, which sometimes just locks up or just reboots. If it locks up, the screen (X11) is black and the PC doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse input, even REISUB does not work to reboot the machine.
              I haven't found anything interesting in the log-files in /var/log (dmesg, sysmessages, kern.log, ...).

I ran memtest86+ for some time, which finished without problems and even switched the ram. I also changed my SSD to an NVMe one (but not because of this problem) and both didn't change anything.

Does anyone has any idea on how to find the culprit?

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                I have an AMD 5600 CPU and a RX580 GPU, which sometimes just locks up or just reboots. If it locks up, the screen (X11) is black and the PC doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse input, even REISUB does not work to reboot the machine.
                I haven't found anything interesting in the log-files in /var/log (dmesg, sysmessages, kern.log, ...).

I ran memtest86+ for some time, which finished without problems and even switched the ram. I also changed my SSD to an NVMe one (but not because of this problem) and both didn't change anything.

I had the exact same thing happening on a Ryzen 3600/Radeon 5700 machine for years, across several distros. I tried switching RAM and storage as well as the GPU with no results. I finally sold off that system as parts and switched back to Intel along with a Radeon 6600 and so far no issues under any distro. It's made me rethink my position that AMD is the better CPU platform for Linux overall, especially since those symptoms weren't present when I tried Windows 10 on the system. I still prefer AMD GPUs for Linux, but I'm going to stick with Intel on the CPU front for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post

Do you have enough power available on the PSU? Some GPUs have transient spikes. The reboot, at least, sounds like it.

Never had issues with AMD CPUs, but then again I use NVIDIA GPUs, so…

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Do you have enough power available on the PSU? Some GPUs have transient spikes. The reboot, at least, sounds like it.

Never had issues with AMD CPUs, but then again I use NVIDIA GPUs, so…
                    It's usually on idle when the machine locks up or just reboots while I'm on the desktop. I'm currently not doing much on the machine, mostly browsing the web. No GPU intensive work; at least no games. Just a yt-video here and there. I'm also not using GNOME or KDE but XFCE, which should be lightweight in terms of GPU load.
                    How would I know if my PSU has enough power?

Comment

Working...
                    X