Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 7840U Performance Benchmarks On Linux: Great Uplift For Zen 4 Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 7840U Performance Benchmarks On Linux: Great Uplift For Zen 4 Laptops

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U Performance Benchmarks On Linux: Great Uplift For Zen 4 Laptops

For weeks and weeks I've been eager to see how well the new AMD Zen 4 based "Phoenix" laptop SoCs function and perform under Linux. Recently I finally found an interesting AMD Ryzen 7 7840U laptop to test and today have some initial Linux benchmarks to share from this Acer Swift Edge 16 laptop with Ryzen 7 7840U SoC and a 3.2K 180Hz OLED display, among other interesting specs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wonder how this ryzen cpu fares against m2 in the macbook air 15inch

Comment

This Ryzen 7 7840U laptop is currently shipping at $1299 USD. Unfortunately the memory is non-upgradeable beyond the soldered 16GB of RAM.
      With an APU? So how much is left to the desktop/userland? That price seems high for just 16GB of RAM on a non-upgradeable laptop but the 7840u seems fantastic.

Also the screen is 120hz, not 180hz Michael which is in the feeds now unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post
        With an APU? So how much is left to the desktop/userland? That price seems high for just 16GB of RAM on a non-upgradeable laptop but the 7840u seems fantastic.

Also the screen is 120hz, not 180hz Michael which is in the feeds now unfortunately.
        Whoops yeah fixed, thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Very interesting laptop! That panel is probably most of the purchase price of the machine, an almost 4k OLED panel is super expensive! Thanks for finding the money to buy this and test Michael! I wouldn't even bother with *BSD testing on this because the ID numbers for the graphics and processor haven't had time to work their way into any of the kernels yet.

Comment

Great performance and efficiency from AMD as usual.

Comment

I wonder how quiet was the machine during the heavy CPU tests.

Comment

First things first, as has become my usual practice of late, I read through the article using my normal Firefox+ad-blockers and then fired up Chrome that has no ad blockers installed and skimmed the article, just as a thank you, I don't know what kind of money can be made from ads these days but i figure if everyone did the same Michael could make some of the money back he laid out for the hardware.

This is a really nice laptop, the price isn't bad, the soldered, non-upgradable is a deal breaker for me, every laptop I buy must allow for easy upgrading og both ram and drive(s).

What i usually do is buy the cheapest laptop with the fastest processor I have find without regards to ram of drive capacity and then I immediately buy larger ram sticks and drives and upgrade the laptop, sometimes before i have even booted up the new drive at all.

To me, this is what the Asahi people should be focusing their time and resources on, refining and polishing the Linux experience on these processors that have so much potential, not trying to get Linux working on a system that is tightly protected by the company that manufactures it.

BTW, I assume that the PTS is freely available to the public, where can I download it? I want to see where how much faster this system is than my Icelake based laptop.

Comment

I'm curious to see how well it does with gaming.

I need to buy a new laptop in the next few months. Ideally it would be all AMD (at least no Nvidia), with a 4k 17" screen, with plenty of NVMe slots. I may have to compromise, so this machine is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    BTW, I assume that the PTS is freely available to the public, where can I download it? I want to see where how much faster this system is than my Icelake based laptop.
                    Yep! It is in the repos for a lot of distributions (Linux and BSDs) and results can easy be uploaded to https://openbenchmarking.org/ for others to compare and contrast their performance with your results.

Comment

Working...
                    X