Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme: Windows vs. Linux CPU Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme: Windows vs. Linux CPU Performance

As part of our Linux-focused look at the ASUS ROG Ally handheld, last week I provided a number of Windows 11 vs. Linux gaming performance on this gaming handheld with RDNA3 graphics found on the AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme SoC. Today's testing is not about the gaming but looking more at the general CPU performance for this Zen 4 powered SoC.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Ubuntu 23.04 - Ubuntu 23.04 out-of-the-box with the Linux 6.4 kernel. On Linux 6.4 by default this means using ACPI CPUfreq with the scheduer utilization "Schedutil" governor.​
    For JPEG-XML image encoding
    Ubuntu 23.04 had a narrow advantage over Windows 11 when using the default "balanced" APCI Platform profile.

Comment

Nice results for one of the slowest distributions. I wonder if different timer settings have impact on performance? Afaik Ubuntu and Fedora are using NO_HZ, NO_HZ_FULL config options. It probably slows performance down.

Comment

I'm wondering if there's much of a difference between amd_pstate passive, guided, and active performance modes. I only wonder that because passive and guided are the only ones that seem to set the boost state to yes cpupower. Is that normal?

Comment

Since you don't have power data in Windows have you looked into https://www.amd.com/en/developer/uprof.html? I don't personally have any experience with this tool, but
          one of the things that it advertises is:
          • Live Power Profiling: Enabled support for AMD EPYC™ 9004 Series CPUs and AMD Ryzen™ 7000 Series CPUs

Comment

Originally posted by superm1 View Post
            Since you don't have power data in Windows have you looked into https://www.amd.com/en/developer/uprof.html? I don't personally have any experience with this tool, but
            one of the things that it advertises is:
            • Live Power Profiling: Enabled support for AMD EPYC™ 9004 Series CPUs and AMD Ryzen™ 7000 Series CPUs
            Chapter 9 of the documentation for it does say that it can get you physical core metrics (RAPL), so it should get you the same info you get on Linux.

Comment

Hey Michael what do you think to set up a crowdfunding for buying hardware that you don't receive for testing, like the recently announced GDP Win4 2023 Ryzen 7040 version, Ryzen notebooks and so on?

I know that the Phoronix premium subscription is the main source of funding, but maybe a crowdfunding could have a wider reach besides the Phoronix readers.

Those handhelds seems a great source for interesting testings and highlights Linux strength as OS for such a device

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Hey Michael what do you think to set up a crowdfunding for buying hardware that you don't receive for testing
                I would second the crowdsourcing. Also for covering events in addition to buying hardware (e.g.: pay to send Michael in person to some conference that couldn't be covered with subscriptions only)

Comment

Hey Michael what do you think to set up a crowdfunding for buying hardware that you don't receive for testing, like the recently announced GDP Win4 2023 Ryzen 7040 version, Ryzen notebooks and so on?

I know that the Phoronix premium subscription is the main source of funding, but maybe a crowdfunding could have a wider reach besides the Phoronix readers.

Those handhelds seems a great source for interesting testings and highlights Linux strength as OS for such a device
                  Unfortunately crowdfunding wouldn't be too practical at least not without planning well in advance.... For maximizing traffic need to be very timely in new hardware coverage, especially in attracting some Windows audience and others. If crowdfunding post-launch eventually there will be small user reviews after the fact from folks and what not. So would rather need to plan in advance of launches for crowdfunding...

Like for example I did buy a Ryzen 7 7840U laptop the other day... Was waiting for some interesting 7040 series laptop with AMD integrated graphics (compared to all the models so far commonly with NVIDIA graphics...) and t hen when seeing one last week was available that fit my hardware desires for testing, I ended up ordering it right away as it had the Ryzen 7 7840U and I've seen little (any?) benchmarks of the Ryzen 7 7840U under Windows even. So ordered it right away to hopefully be among the first with Ryzen 7 7840U benchmarks in general to help maximize traffic/interest. And then will work on many articles to help recoup the costs... Crowdfunding that in advance would be more difficult in not even knowing the laptop or price in advance.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I did advise michael similar multibe times ... best would be a pixel buy page who people can buy single pixels of a hardware they want to support to be tested on phoronix.com
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X