AMD Publishes Initial openSIL Open-Source CPU Silicon Initialization Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Initial openSIL Open-Source CPU Silicon Initialization Code

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Initial openSIL Open-Source CPU Silicon Initialization Code

Following an exciting AMD AI Day yesterday where they launched the Ryzen PRO 7000 series for desktops and laptops, launched Genoa-X and Bergamo server processors, and introduced the MI300X, there is additional exciting news today... AMD just published the code for their new openSIL project that is working on open-source CPU silicon initialization with Coreboot support and in the coming years will ultimately replace AGESA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've got got anything smart to say or add to the conversation..... but this is fucking sick.

Love you AMD Xx <3

Comment

Sounds really promising, although I don't understand exactly what it means. I would love to be able to run a PC with everything being as open source as possible, including the firmware and hardware, without any binary blobs, and I would like to have transparency so security researchers can inspect everything.

I am afraid to get my hopes up though, in the end maybe it just for the benefit of some big hyperscale companies like Facebook, Microsoft and Google, or it works on some weird old motherboard with after market firmware.

I really hope that AMD is very serious about this, and doesn't half-commit to it.

Comment

Nice, they even use meson as build system

Comment

Nice, glad they didn't wait until 2026 to open up; look forward to have this working on a Ryzen powered Framework laptop with Coreboot. :+ )

Comment

now we see if the community can... accelerate the plans

Comment

Well so I will wait till 2026 to buy next AMD CPU/Motherboard.
              RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Let's see what happens to the PSP blob code. But it seems like the first steps of what could be a great thing to come.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                X