Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Xeon Ice Lake vs. AMD EPYC Milan Server Performance, Efficiency & Value In 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon Ice Lake vs. AMD EPYC Milan Server Performance, Efficiency & Value In 2023

Phoronix: Intel Xeon Ice Lake vs. AMD EPYC Milan Server Performance, Efficiency & Value In 2023

While AMD 4th Gen EPYC "Genoa" and Intel 4th Gen Xeon Scalable "Sapphire Rapids" processors launched a few months ago, for those not yet able to obtain the new processors/platforms, prefer waiting for DDR5 memory prices to recede further, don't necessarily need the latest bells and whistles found with these new server processors, or just looking to maximize value, 3rd Gen AMD EPYC Milan and Intel Xeon Scalable Ice Lake processors are readily available and still seeing plenty of new deployments in data centers throughout the world. In this article is a fresh look at the AMD Milan vs. Intel Ice Lake server performance, power efficiency, and performance-per-dollar across a range of processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any ideas why Intel won Postgresql benchmarks? Or is it usual?

Comment

Originally posted by alberto-pv View Post
      Any ideas why Intel won Postgresql benchmarks? Or is it usual?
      Intel has in the past won in pgbench
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i 've seen michael - u use nvme and sata3 samsung ssds. are they working well now - with linux? if i remember right - in other benches from you samsung ssds didn*t perform well with linux - especially database and ssl benches. so michael - why you are using those here. were there firmware updates - which solved those problems or missed i something?
        Last edited by spiral_23; 08 June 2023, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          The AMD EPYC processors tested were delivering comparatively better performance than the Ice Lake SKUs when running the Blender 3D modelling software.
          (US: modeling; UK: modelling)

On a performnace-per-dollar basis for this Nginx benchmark the outcome was quite even between AMD and Intel.
          providing the free remote acess for

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Typos:

(US: modeling; UK: modelling)
            Thanks, fixed.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by spiral_23 View Post
              i 've seen michael - u use nvme and sata3 samsung ssds. are they working well now - with linux? if i remember right - in other benches from you samsung ssds didn*t perform well with linux - especially database and ssl benches. so michael - why you are using those here. were there firmware updates - which solved those problems or missed i something?
              I didn't pick any of the individual components, it was all remote testing as stated in the article.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I didn't pick any of the individual components, it was all remote testing as stated in the article.
                sry michael . just looked at the hardware specs and results! so there can be different results with other enterprise-ssd/chipset combinations. hope the samsungs didn't impact the results too much.

Comment

Interesting that Intel had so much trouble in recent years with Xeons. In server space there is much effort invested in C++ and faster languages like Google Go are not so friendly or dominant in areas that requires something moore, but Google is pushing Go Go Go, but on Desktop it is dead

Comment

Working...
                  X