Arm Details The Cortex-X4 With +15% Performance, Armv9.2 ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryao View Post
    Most do not. There are micro-controllers everywhere and anything better than 28nm makes no sense for them.
    Even if the chip design is done for free, the fabrication costs for newer processes is rising. It is so bad at 3nm that people are questioning whether further investment in new process technology makes sense, since the density improvement is equal to the increased cost, and for the next process, the cost is likely to outweigh the density improvement. Moore’s Law is effectively dead. The full effects of that have not been felt yet, but are starting to take hold.
    you asked for more performance for the same price or even lower price for the same performance

then i did explain to you that the X86 tax is mitigated or removed with X86S architecture what drops any 16bit and 32bit parts of the chip. this gives you 10% cheaper chips for the same performance.
    then you asked for even more and i told you opensource chip design could zero out any profit int he chip design what would give you another 20-30% more performance for the same costs.

"It is so bad at 3nm that people are questioning whether further investment in new process technology makes sense, since the density improvement is equal to the increased cost, and for the next process, the cost is likely to outweigh the density improvement."

lets assume you are right at this point i would say it is still worth it.
    because some designs at the high performance range is impossible to develop at 28 nm or 12nm or 7nm or 5nm or 4nm...
    means some customers do have in fact a lot of money and they don't care to spend it for these customers
    a 2nm or even 1nm process node is still profitable to made.

these customers are not poor people like your business you talk about. these people don't care to spend 15000€ on a CPU...

these people who spend 15000€ on a cpu plain and simple do have other problems than this: "the next process, the cost is likely to outweigh the density improvement"

they don't care about 15000€ per cpu. they plain and simple have the money.

Originally posted by ryao View Post
    That was a typo. It should have been RX 6600 XT.
    see i know there is no RX 7600xT i know there is only a 7600 without XT...

it was just a typo sorry.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
      then i did explain to you that the X86 tax is mitigated or removed with X86S architecture what drops any 16bit and 32bit parts of the chip.
      No, it drops the parts of the chip needed to boot into 32-bit operation. Support for running 32-bit software on 64-bit OSes is still necessary or you've got another Itanium... right down to the part about Intel's offering being slower and hotter than competing chips (in Itanium's case, AMD64; In x86's case, ARM cores like Apple's.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        No, it drops the parts of the chip needed to boot into 32-bit operation. Support for running 32-bit software on 64-bit OSes is still necessary or you've got another Itanium... right down to the part about Intel's offering being slower and hotter than competing chips (in Itanium's case, AMD64; In x86's case, ARM cores like Apple's.)
        right, it can still execute 32bit right. but with that the X86 TAX is smaller means less tranistors used means cheaper CPUs.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
          Now this is interesting. I shudder to find out what the price is but we need more than just dev and demo systems to create an ecosystem.
          What task you are trying to solve anyway? I mean, if you want to assemble workstation in ATX case, you want to assemble it to do something, right? To do what, exactly?

I asking because, in case you didn't know, there is offerings on the market with 8-16GB RAM (such as NanoPC-T6 and Orange Pi 5 Plus - please spend some time on scrolling of these pages; for instance both boards support NVME SSD, three displays, and NanoPC-T6 is even 100% passively cooled with original metal case!) There is also a couple of interesting products by Firefly, such as SBC with 32GB RAM and, if you want something more standard, this ITX board. Oh, and I almost forgot about Orange Pi 5 (not Plus) that also support up to 32GB RAM. All mentioned boards is based on Rockchip RK3588S SoC.

Another interesting solution is mini-ITX SolidRun HoneyComb LX2 (up to 64GB RAM) based on Layerscape LX2160A.
          Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 05 June 2023, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

you asked for more performance for the same price or even lower price for the same performance
            That is what you want. There will be less and less of that going forward, since the driving force behind it, Moore's Law, is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by DienoX View Post
              qarium
              What do you recommend to buy as a replacement for the capabilities and original price of the Raspberry Pi 4 4/8GB or Raspberry Pi zero 2W?
              You could buy the 4GB Raspberry Pi 4 Model B at microcenter:

Get it now! You'll recognize the price along with the basic shape and size, so you can simply drop your new Raspberry Pi into your old projects for an upgrade; and as always, we've kept all our software backwards-compatible, so what you create on a Raspberry Pi 4 will work on any older models you own too.

I just got one. They told me that they are selling very quickly since they got them in stock this morning.

Comment

Working...
              X