Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Provides AI-Accelerated HPC Update For ISC 2023

Phoronix: Intel Provides AI-Accelerated HPC Update For ISC 2023

Intel is using ISC2023 this week in Hamburg, Germany to provide an update on its AI-accelerated HPC efforts. This includes reaffirming their upcoming data center product roadmap, reiterating their great software efforts, and also announcing full Aurora supercomputer specifications.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why compare Sapphire Rapids to Milan? Comparing it to Operton would give even more impressive numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Article
      Intel showed off some big wins with Sapphire Rapids across many different workloads, but do note they are comparing to AMD EPYC 7763 "Milan" processors and not the very latest Genoa processors.
      I suspect this can be translated as follows: "Genoa, a CPU range out since late last year, outperforms our about-to-be-released stuff, so we compare to older things instead."

Comment

Intel guy joked on stage that Lisa is not sending them their latest gear, same for Jensen. So they have to compare their gear to what they have in hand.

Also Intel's keynote was unusually poorly attended ... Looks like hpc folks don't care much about Intel anymore.

Comment

It’s unfortunate to hear about the low attendance, but I must say, the roadmap looks incredibly exciting! I mean, HBM on-die? That’s mind-blowing!

On a personal note, my second bedroom serves as my homelab, and I’ve been thinking about upgrading it. I’ll have to let go of my old Itanium rig (which hurts actually. But everyone laughs at me so I guess it’s time…) and make way for some beautiful new replacements to create a mini HPC lab. The possibilities are endless!

For a while, AMD had captured my attention since 2016, but lately, I’ve become really intrigued by what Intel has in store. Their latest developments have piqued my curiosity, and I can’t wait to see what they bring to the table.

Although I’m no longer involved in making hardware decisions at a large scale, it doesn’t dampen my excitement for exploring and learning about new technologies. (Worked in healthcare, hence Itanium and familiarizing myself with it)… BUT hey, whatever gets us passionate about our homelabs, right?​
          Last edited by Eirikr1848; 23 May 2023, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Main constraint for home labs is becoming energy costs, at least in Germany. So 10y old hpc gear is unfortunately out of the picture, as is brand new hpc gear (can you do a few KW of water cooling at home? )
            Maybe look at what student cluster competition is doing. They're limited to 3KW and these days you mostly see only one machine at each team's booth ...

I got me some xeons 2650L v4, 14c at 65W tdp ... and if you clock them at 1.2GHz, they can even be passively cooled. But you still keep all the memory bandwidth, pretty nice for HPC and bandwidth limited apps ...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
              It’s unfortunate to hear about the low attendance, but I must say, the roadmap looks incredibly exciting! I mean, HBM on-die? That’s mind-blowing!
              Hasn't this been done many times before or am I missing something? In 2015 AMD (Radeon), 2016 Nvidia (Tesla), 2019 Fujitsu (A64FX), 2023 Intel (Sapphire Rapids).

On a personal note, my second bedroom serves as my homelab, and I’ve been thinking about upgrading it. I’ll have to let go of my old Itanium rig (which hurts actually. But everyone laughs at me so I guess it’s time…) and make way for some beautiful new replacements to create a mini HPC lab. The possibilities are endless!

For a while, AMD had captured my attention since 2016, but lately, I’ve become really intrigued by what Intel has in store. Their latest developments have piqued my curiosity, and I can’t wait to see what they bring to the table.

Although I’m no longer involved in making hardware decisions at a large scale, it doesn’t dampen my excitement for exploring and learning about new technologies. (Worked in healthcare, hence Itanium and familiarizing myself with it)… BUT hey, whatever gets us passionate about our homelabs, right?​
              I agree, whatever gets you excited and passionate is the way.

Back in the day I ran a small boinc cluster on a private network. The expensive hardware was idle for long periods of time. Electricity was cheap and plentiful. These days with power failures every single day for the past year people are struggle to run raspberry pi clusters on the hobbyist level. Systems are gathering dust.

Comment

Yes - whoops - I mean “mindblowing” as in “something out of intel that will be purchasable for some enthusiasts, etc - not just paper launched, limited avail, etc. — was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

Sorry about the power outages, UA?

Comment

Yes - whoops - I mean “mindblowing” as in “something out of intel that will be purchasable for some enthusiasts, etc - not just paper launched, limited avail, etc. — was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.
                  I'm laughing at myself for not noticing that! Thanks for explaining.

Sorry about the power outages, UA?
                  SA. Fighting corruption, an uphill battle.

Comment

Working...
                  X