memtest86+ 6.20 Released With Improved Support For Older Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debrouxl View Post
    For a decade or so, the main roadblock in advancing memtest86+ was the work needed to implement UEFI support. Then came Martin Whitaker, who did it for pcmemtest, as part of a rewritten, cleaner, leaner and more maintainable implementation. After I wrote about pcmemtest to Sam Demeulmeester, pcmemtest quickly became the new memtest86+

PassMark's closed-source and commercial tester with a crippled non-commercial version will keep an edge over memtest86+, because they get paid for it and we don't really (at least I don't at all ^^ but I think that Martin isn't, and Sam isn't beyond small donations), and the fact that it's closed-source probably helps with implementing support for stuff under NDA anyway. However, memtest86+'s auxiliary features (not directly related to memory testing) have expanded significantly in the past year and a half, and keep expanding.​
    You sound extremely knowledgeable When it comes to memtesting and ECC...
    I have a rise in 1700X on a consumer motherboard that I would love to buy ECC RAM for and run a ZFS file server...
    My only hesitation is how would you go about confirming ECC is working appropriately apart from buying some sort of hardware tester for $200

Comment

Extremely knowledgeable, probably not
      I know that some combination of overclocking and undervolting is supposed to trigger errors; the process for finding the right combination which produces enough errors to be able to reliably check the ECC corrected error reporting, but not too many errors for the computer to boot until the memory tester kicks in, can be cumbersome. I've never done it myself: I have no computer with a BIOS allowing for such fine-grained control over clock frequencies and voltage, equipped with ECC memory. I could put some ECC memory into a computer equipped with Ryzen 7 PRO 5750GE, but I can't reboot that one at will.

The initial IMC reading support for desktop variants of Intel Core i* 2nd gen (Sandy Bridge) to 13th gen (Raptor Lake) and Zen 1st gen to 4th gen - i.e. no server, mobile or APU parts for now - was merged today to the main branch
      The MMIO UART support was merged as well.
      Last edited by debrouxl; 15 May 2023, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X