AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post

Such extravagance, my Apple IIe had 113.75 KB floppies.
    What did you do with all that extra space? I mean to be fair I had TWO drives each with 85KB storage. But one had to be used for the OS.

In other exciting news and related to this topic my 7950x3d comes in Friday. Additionally for the fun game of who had ancient PCs, this marks my 2^10 upgrade on RAM as I've doubled each build to finally hit a 1.4 million % increase from my first computer. 48KB -> 64GB. It's like the penny doubling bet.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      3D cache/no-3d-cache support in the Linux kernel is missing altogether, as well as core parking (or cores pinning/affinity) which needs to be done by admittedly a user-space application/daemon/service/whatever, not the kernel, so the V-enabled 7950X3D and 7900X3D CPUs are quite a poor match for the average Linux user in 2023 which just shows again that complete platforms (Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android) are much better at utilizing CPUs with dissimilar cores than the disparate approach so praised by the Open Source community.

Intel ADL which was released over a year ago is still not properly supported in Linux despite Android supporting BIG.little uArchs very well but then Android is a complete platform/solution controlled by a single entity, so they have all the means to make it work properly. Could that mean that Android may run Windows games better than the average Linux distro at least on ADL/RPL? That would be interesting to see.
      There are currently a patch set submitted to Ferals Gamemode that supports core pinning and parking with autodetection for 7900x3D, 7950x3D and the Intel E- and P- cores processors.

Comment

Working...
      X