Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Continued Its Great Linux Embrace In 2022 With Better Launch-Day Support + Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Continued Its Great Linux Embrace In 2022 With Better Launch-Day Support + Optimizations

Phoronix: AMD Continued Its Great Linux Embrace In 2022 With Better Launch-Day Support + Optimizations

AMD in 2022 continued its open-source/Linux support embrace with offering good launch-day support on both the CPU and GPU sides with their new products, continued ramping up their Linux support on the client side, and has worked more on optimizations and other enhancements to their Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no open source for AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP).
    So I might as well keep on buying Intel. AMD offers no more freedom or openness than Intel, so it isn't very lucrative to me.

I think AMD should to a high-performance RISC-V or ARM64 processor, that would spike my interest.

Comment

And still no SR-IOV and graphical control panel support!
      There are 10-15 cool graphical technologies available in the Windows driver only.
      WTF is so hard to port some of them to the Linux driver also?
      Or to al least port the CPU / GPU usage, power consumption, frequencies, voltages temperatures sensor readings?

I understand that AMD doesn't care so much about Linux, maybe because its market share, but seriously, some things it would be easy for them to implement since they are the makers of the hardware and they know everything about it, compared to developers from other companies and volunteers.

And if they don't have enough developers, they could at least become patrons to some good open source software, like Intel does:

Krita is a professional FREE and open source painting program. It is made by artists that want to see affordable art tools for everyone.

KDE, for example, has other good programs that would need the help of a patron and not only KDE, there are other good open source projects out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        There are 10-15 cool graphical technologies available in the Windows driver only.
        Or to al least port the CPU / GPU usage, power consumption, frequencies, voltages temperatures sensor readings?
        I'm very interested in knowing more about this too. Though I can acknowledge that porting things like this can be much harder than it sounds on paper, it is odd that AMD hasn't even made an effort to do so, or even talk about it in any shape, way or form. For example, I would really love to use AMD's Enhanced Sync which is present on Windows (and believe me, I've tried the various Mesa envvars to achieve this.)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Still no open source for AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP).
          So I might as well keep on buying Intel. AMD offers no more freedom or openness than Intel, so it isn't very lucrative to me.

I think AMD should to a high-performance RISC-V or ARM64 processor, that would spike my interest.
          Lolwut? ARM can be just as closed. And while RISC-V has more open potential, they could still put PSP on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Lolwut? ARM can be just as closed. And while RISC-V has more open potential, they could still put PSP on there.
            Yeah, absolutely. But my statement about ARM and RISC-V were unrelated the PSP.

I just think both Intel and AMD have uninteresting products, their x86 processors don't appeal to me. They're very power hungry, difficult to heat, etc. I really don't want an Apple product, but I think Apple have the most interesting CPU with the M1 and M2. I would like to see Intel or AMD offer something similar to the M2.

But while I am on x86, both Intel and AMD are not as open as I want to be, so if the choice is between Intel and AMD, I rather go with Intel who invests more in open source and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              You know that the main tools for sensor reading on windows are actually freeware aswell?

Just to mention cpuz/hwinfo/zentimings i bet the list goes on ofc those developers offer premiums that you have to pay for.
              Softwares | CPUID

So it´s quite a stretch to say i want those tools on linux aswell, you have to be glad the hwmon support is so good nowdays actually.

And the sr-iov thing i want it too but there is no reasonable priced gpu to consider it....

Not to mention if you run a resonable priced motherboard with windows it comes with a uefi tool and hardware monitoring out of the box, if you install the homebrew tools wich are crap ~~
              Last edited by erniv2; 31 December 2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Yeah, absolutely. But my statement about ARM and RISC-V were unrelated the PSP.
                I just think both Intel and AMD have uninteresting products, their x86 processors don't appeal to me. They're very power hungry, difficult to heat, etc. I really don't want an Apple product, but I think Apple have the most interesting CPU with the M1 and M2. I would like to see Intel or AMD offer something similar to the M2.
                But while I am on x86, both Intel and AMD are not as open as I want to be, so if the choice is between Intel and AMD, I rather go with Intel who invests more in open source and Linux.
                can you tell me why do you want RISC-V in stead of for example OpenPOWER? the status of the linux ecosystem software support for RISC-V is very poor compared to OpenPOWER...

RISC-V will need a long time to compete agaist OpenPOWER...
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

can you tell me why do you want RISC-V in stead of for example OpenPOWER? the status of the linux ecosystem software support for RISC-V is very poor compared to OpenPOWER...

I think OpenPOWER is not really a fully open ISA in so much as there is no external development or consultation of the evolution of the specs outside IBM. It is designed to meet IBM's server needs, but you're not going to get a POWER chip in a novelty toy. In any case, if POWER was going to go anywhere, it would have done so by now...

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

Because the POWER architecture is a as old as x86. I would want a modern architecture that is energy efficient. I don't want these 100 W, 200 W or 300 W processors.

Comment

Working...
                    X